Difference between Alpha 1, Gen 1 and Gen 2

SgtScrounge

Cadet
I just got a 1979 SeaRay SRV-240 in fantastic condition, and it is only the second I/O I have had. Mostly I have had outboards. The original outdrive was upgraded about 7-8 years ago to an Alpha 1, but I am not sure if it is Gen 1 or Gen 2.

What are the differences/distinctions, because I need to slap the correct aluminum anode kit on it before I put it in a slip.

Also, I am going to be slipping it in salt water; other than new aluminum anodes, what can I do to protect the outdrive and the stainless steel prop from galvanic corrosion ?

SgtScrounge

Cadet
Re: Difference between Alpha 1, Gen 1 and Gen 2

Thanks, Don. It appears that my 1979 Mercruiser had an Alpha 1, Gen 1 installed to replace the previous outdrive.
The transom assembly has a very faint serial number which appears to be 5995076; does this make it a 470 or 485 ?

The two bellows visible on the starboard side appear to be in excellent condition. On the port side, however, there is a hose hanging inside the gap between the lower unit and the gimble housing. The hose has a hoseclamp on it, so I assume it is supposed to go somewhere. Any ideas ? The boat is freshwater cooled, and there is a seacock with a through-hull fitting taking water in though the bottom, so I do not think it is part of the cooling system from the lower unit.