can you test an ignition module?

I have a 260HP chevy not getting any juice to the coil. I took off the grey wire to the negative side of the coil because it goes to a shift switch and I figured by dissconnecting it the switch couln't be messing up my ignition but that didn't work. I put the timing light on the main coil wire to the distributor and I only see a strobe once when I turn the key on and once whe I turn the key off and break the electrical field. can I test the ignition module? it's a mercury thunderbolt 4 high energy ignition box tha has two wires going to the coil. thank anybody, I've triple checked all my wiring.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: can you test an ignition module?

can I test the ignition module? it's a mercury thunderbolt 4 high energy ignition box tha has two wires going to the coil.

In a word......... No.

If you aren't getting power to the coil, it has nothing to do with the module. Check the kill switch, the ignition switch, and every connections between the ign. switch and the coil.

Re: can you test an ignition module?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=214939

copy and paste in your browser. This solved all my problems. It is a very good trouble shooting guide if you have a thunderbolt ignition system. (look at the airfilter cover for the words thunderbolt 5)

Look to see if there are 2 wires coming from the port side of the distributer. Mine were red white and green white. Test the red white wire coming out of the ignition module for 12 volt to ground. If no voltage then it is more common to have a bad pick up sensor which of course goes back to the ign mod.

Try pulling off the roter cap, under the distributer. You might have to buy a new rotor if you bend the tab. Look at the sensor on the port side there are a few screws to take out. I found a pc chip about the size of a pencil eraser laying in the bottom of the distributer. After replacing the sensor and making sure you get teh new screws in right. Look at the inside of the rotor to make sure there is a 1/8 inch peice of plastic that fits the slot on the distributer shaft and carfully place it back on with out touching the top peice of metal as to not bend it.

Remove the coil wire going to distributer. I used a screw that fet perfect into the coil to distributer wire and try starting the the engine. Look for a spark. This should get you a lot closer. The peeps I have spoken with took me thru these steps and said it is rare that an ign mod goes out.

good luck