Shift cable retainer nut frozen??

kwagner

Cadet
Hi folks,
it appears as if the lower shift cable retainer nut on my (1988 Mercruiser 3.0L) Alpha One drive is frozen. I have instructions that state i should use a 9/16 socket for removing the retainer nut - which I have been trying all week. My problem is, the nut won't budge - it's as if it is part of the housing. I've shot it with wd-40 and Kano oil all week and still no budging. Does anyone know any other tricks to get the nut out? (i've attached a pic)
thanks in advance!

Attachments

• retainer-nut.jpg
    retainer-nut.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Shift cable retainer nut frozen??

Do you have access to Oxy/ Ac Torches,..??..??.......

The Blue-Tip Wrench would be My Go to Tool..........

Have you rounded the Nut yet,..??.....

An Impact Driver might Help.......

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

just a socket and a good twist.Sometimes they get corroded in place.
The retainer nut description is almost right except it`s not a separate nut, it`s part of the shift cable.
Worst case is you drill it out and retap the hole

kwagner

Cadet

haven't tried anything else but the socket at this point. Looking for next idea... the nut has not been rounded (yet). no access to torches but my neighbor has a small portable hand held propane torch - maybe i'll try applying some heat with that.

Scott in MN

Seaman Apprentice

I rounded mine off just last week. I drilled it out and retapped the hole. I was going from the bow inserted nut to the stern one so I had the tap.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Heat the aluminum around the nut with a torch (this'll heat up the nut too, but try not to apply heat directly to the nut). Once you have it all nice and toasty, put an ice cube against the nut to cool it without cooling the aluminum. Should make a huge difference.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

mine is made of brass and i rounded it off while replacing the bellows. it goes in from the back side too. you can get an electronic freeze spray also that gets very cold. possibly use a hair dryer or heat gun for the heating operation.

tommays

Admiral

It looks like its got plenty of meat left for a GOOD quality 6 point socket ?

Tommays

kwagner

Cadet

thanks for the tips. i will attempt to tackle this over the weekend.... i'll keep ya posted. thanks!

Coors

Captain

Last time I was in Harbor Freight, I found a set of reverse easy outs- They are sockets that crank down on rounded bolt heads.
I used one and it worked good!

wcsparky05

Petty Officer 1st Class

if i didn't have access to a torch or even before i got into that i would try a cheater bar. length of rigid pipe or e.m.t. will increase your torque immensely. thats how i got the ball hitch off my old truck after the impact wrench didn't do %?$#! that was probably 10 yrs of rusted metal. good luck!

kwagner

Cadet

Got it !! didn't need the heat either.... i guess another day of soaking it with Kano and Wd-40 paid off!! it was tough - but it finally release tonight.

thanks for all the tips and advice guys! (now i need to start the work..... installing the new shift cable!)