Mercury Penta-Cruiser!

Hi there everybody!
Just new to the forum, but I figured I would add an interesting little tidbit of info for you all. Last weekend, My 1992 Bayliner 2455 Ciera Charter Boat dropped an exhaust valve in the Mercruiser 5.0 engine. So, I did the usual compression test to confirm the cylinder affected and pulled the head (#3 Cyl.). I had no luck finding a replacement valve, due to the factory valve stem being .030" over stock 5.0l Chevy specs. No idea why, but that was the case. So... I went off to plan "B". Finding a replacement head. No luck there either. But.... I did manage to find a set of Volvo Penta Vortec 5.0l heads and a 4 bbl. intake. So, I spent all day today installing the parts and around 6:00 pm Thursday, I fired up what possibly may be the first Mercury Penta Cruiser in existance.
Had a couple of headscratchers when I got it fired up though.
1. Backfiring thru the carb on accelleration.
2. Would not get over 2500 RPM under load.
3. running hot (temp horn came on )

THe fixes....
1. Duh! had #'s 2&4 plug wires crossed. THat fixed problems 1 & 2... Talk about the most amateurish mistake that I could make!
3. I had ordered replacement plugs for my '92 engine and I had one of my Guides helping with the parts prep. He pulled the plugs out of the Volvo Penta Vortec heads and cleaned up the gasket surfaces but I never even gave a thought to the new heads having long reach plugs. So I installed a new set of NGK YR5 plugs after installation of the heads. For some reason, I figured on checking the spark plug catalogue in my shop and clued in to the 1/2 inch vs. 3/4 inch reach plugs. Some of these things are really obvious when you figure them out, but make you spend lots of time with elevated blood pressure getting them all sorted.
Anyways, I love the Vortec heads! I can hit my rated RPM without even cracking the secondaries on the carb!
Woo HOO! FIshin' Time!!!!!!!!
Cheerz,
Dave

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercury Penta-Cruiser!

Well,........ I'm Glad it worked out for you,....
But,.... Both the V-P,+ the Merc engines are nothing but Chevies anyways,......
So,....
You really Don't have a Merc-Penta...........
It's still a Mercruiser,.... But with up-graded Heads........

And,.........
Yes,.... The Vortec up-grade is worth about 20/30hp.......
They're the Best possible Heads to put on a Chevy powered Boat........