• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Battery brand/size - Everstart MAXX Marine

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery brand/size - Everstart MAXX Marine

Hey I have a questions regarding batteries. I have another thread going in electronics (and have gotten some great advice) but no one knows the size I would need for my engine (please see my signature). I don't troll, only water sports. Also have a cd player but don't really play it for extended periods without starting engine up (call me paranoid).

1) Went to Wallyworld today during lunch and looked at their Everstart MAXX Marine 29 (the largest they sell). If I need a new battery, would this be sufficient - Everstart MAXX Marine deep cycle/starting 875 ca/125 am hours, 205 reserve. It will cost me about 68 clams. The current battery in my boat is a starting/auto battery (same one when I bought it last year). Should I stay away from this brand (Everstart)? Any experiences out there...?

2) Charging... since I have a 10/6/2 amp charger, when maintaining a deep cycle/starting battery (as above), should I charge at 2 amps 1x/mo? My charger will stop and float the battery then quit charging. This is what I have http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...roductID=15577 I have been charging all of my 12v batteries (after winter) using 10amp..... per the instructions, but in reading through this forum, sounds like the lower the better? Is that for just during the winter/maintenance?
    1995 Bayliner 2050 Capri Bowrider with Mercruiser A1, Gen II, 5.0 V8 Inboard

Re: Battery brand/size - Everstart MAXX Marine

That battery would work fine. As far as charging, if you use it as you say the battery should be pretty well charged by the time you are done running the boat. So I would set the charger low.
    SeaSun Ticket
    96 Silverton 312
    7.4 Mercruiser Bravo II

Comment

Thanks! Yeah... when I started using the charger, I just read directions and used 10amp for the larger batteries. And I did a no no with just taking out both my boat and rv battery for the winter, putting them in my garage and not touching them until this spring to fully charge at 10amps. I will no longer do this.

Comment

The largest battery that will fit is the correct one; don't use a deep cycle for starting.

Comment

ok.... enter: confusion

so this battery states that it is a start/deep cycle battery - Specs: Everstart MAXX Marine starting/deep cycle 875 ca/125 am hours, 205 reserve

so is this really just a deep cycle..? is there no such thing as a starting/deep cycle?

Comment

The theory is, stated by the people that make them- a start battery charges up very fast, a deep cycle takes 12 hours or so. How can you combine it? The plates are different, etc. I just throw an extra deep cycle into the boat to run accessories, and re-charge it during the week.

Comment

veddy veddy interesting... sounds like misleading marketing. well, hell... I don't want (or really need) 2 batteries! i wonder what people use for just 1 battery...?

Comment

I just use a good interstate auto battery....no charger....started right up after winter storage this year.
                2000 Four Winns Horizon 200

Comment

Also you should charge a battery at a maximum of one tenth of its capacity to have maximum battery life. If your battery is rated at 40 amp hours, you should never charge it at more than 4 amps (one tenth of its capacity) charging it at a higher curent will cause the plates inside the battery to heat, which can then make them warp and short out (ruining your battery)!! You also get excessive hydrogen produced when you overcharge a lead acid battery, on a boat where the battery is usually in a confined engined bay, you don't want large amounts of hydrogen!! It has interesting properties when mixed with a spark from an engine or electrical circuit!

The general rule as you already stated, the lower the charge the better (It just takes longer to recharge). If you don't have enough time then increase the charging current, but you will reduce your batteries service life and could damage the battery.

Gary

Comment

Thanks all... I bought the Everstart MAXX Marine starting/deep cycle 875 mca/125 am hours, 205 reserve. This is 2x recommended (minimum) amount of mca (marine cranking amps) that my service manual calls for. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but when I got my old battery tested...well, first off it was a group 24 (deep cycle - not starting) with no specs on the label.. I saw an 80h (not sure what that stood for) and when tested, it tested at 164 ca! Yikes - no wonder it took a while to coax her to start!

Comment

Working...
                    X