OMC 460 carburetor. Recommendations

rusty bolts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OMC 460 carburetor. Had the carburetor rebuilt last seasons ran ok but toward the end of the year it would sometimes go pop pop when starting out usually at the start of the day ,it would also flood easily if you pumped it once or twice trying to stat it . plugs are black.
Looks like I need a good replacement, as I understand the carburetor on my the 460 is a 400cfm #s are E 6JLFB and A6F13 Would like to buy a new one or rebuilt one and not have any trouble so the local carburetors shop that rebuilt it before is out .can anyone recommend a good shop on line. I called flying fish carburetor in Florida , they seemed knowledgeable and said this carburetor is a little small for a 5600 pound boat and would say a 600 cfm will make it run better ?Any recommendations would be appreciated thanks RD

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC 460 carburetor. Recommendations

I'm running a 4160 600 cfm 4bbl Holley on a slightly hotter than stock 302. I stay out of the secondaries and I still get good economy. I sure don't know how they would expect that 460 to develop it's potential with a 400 cfm. At 400 cfm it would have to be a 2bbl. Holley makes the smallest cfm 4 bbl that I know of, at 450 cfm.

I am no expert here but I am not even aware that Holley jets a 600 cfm for a 460. I'd almost guess that you'd need to go to a 750 cfm 4bbl. Just my guess mind you, but it is based on my understanding of smaller engines.

I'd check on the Holley website to see what they have in Marine Carbs. They will tell you what they are suited for, plus you could always call them and ask what they have that is jetted for you 460 marine app.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

My buddy has a 460 jet boat and hes running a 750 double pumnper.
Rob

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
OMC 460 carburetor. Recommendations

I ran a 4160 on my 460 OMC and it ran fine after I rebuilt it. It was the stock carb. First thing I did was disable the choke.

The 460 is gone now... sold to a guy that is putting it in a truck.....I kept the carb though. It's going on my truck.

Cheers,

Rick

rusty bolts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks i will keep her going as long as it has no major proublems, then i will go to the dark side