Mercruiser 470 to Borg Waner Velvet Drive?

medic 1

Recruit
Does anyone know if I can purchase a bell housing that fits the Mercruiser 470 so it can be mated to a BW Velvet Drive?

I know the Merc 3.0L has the same bolt up pattern as the Chev. v8 eventhough its an inline 4 engine. I'm less familiar with Fords. So is it the same story where I can use a bell housing that is used for the Ford V8 & V6?

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 470 to Borg Waner Velvet Drive?

That 470 bellhousing may not be a Ford, the only thing Ford about the 470 is the head, the block is a Mercruiser design aluminum. So it could be the same as a Chevy, never checked.
But I sure wouldn't suggest doing a bunch of work to adapt an obsolete motor with so many NLA parts, to a BW tranny. Especially one plagued with so many problems.

medic 1

Recruit

Thanks Don S.

So far this is just something I'm mulling over. I have several friends who really like the 470. Just considering whether or not it is even "inboardable". Sounds like it was build specifically for sterndrive use.

There are bellhousing adapters that mate up the Velvet Drives without much effort for Chevy blocks. I just don't know about the pattern on the back of this 470 block.

When you mentioned "plagued with so many problems" are you referring to the 470 or the BW tranny? Also what are NLA parts?

Thanks for the help.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I believe that he is refering to the 470......
"NLA" = no longer available.......;)
That means you will need to scrounge up parts as you need them.....
Welcome to iboats, btw......:)