3.7 mercruiser, homebrew alternator conversion, $80

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy1canada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 3.7 mercruiser, homebrew alternator conversion, $80

Howdy!

Awesome job!

I've seen these conversion kits listed on ebay for about $400/US. You saved yourself a bundle.

Incidentally, if you don't know about it already, there's a forum on the web called 'Breezeworks' that's chaulk-full of '470' owners like yourself. I'm sure there's a 'whack' of guy's on there who'd like to see the job you did.

Good luck with your killer four-banger!

Cheers,
Terry

jasiffe

Recruit

Ecupir8,

Used your example and installed a 100 amp marine alternator (purchased new on line for $69). Bought an upper bracket from Auto Zone for $13 and made the lower bracket from 3/8" steel stock hacksaw cut in three straight lengths, then drilled & rounded with an ordinary shop grinder. Used washers for appropriate depth spacing. Measured the belt length & purchased at Auto Zone for about $8. No special tools required. The unit charges beautifully, and total price around $100. I recommend this to anyone considering buying the $500 kit. My dog house had to shift about 1" to the left to allow for side clearance, but I do not have seats there so it did not make any difference for me.

volcomstone550

Recruit

you should scan the brackets you made to scale so we can all have the design and simply print it out

Todd Peterson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would like to see your bracket or draw it on paper. I just hate to pay $200-500 for a bracket when the alternator costs $200.00.

I just took out the magnets and stator and need a kit.

Do you know where I can a used bracket?

Todd

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't expect an answer from this year old thread. Here is the info on the original poster.

ecupir8 Last Activity: June 12th, 2007 05:50 PM

Todd Peterson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don, thanks for the links. I see that I can buy the kit (less the alternator) for $157.00 and then get the alternator local for $200.00 and install my self. I found install instructions too. Now I have to pay the marina for a new head gasket.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don, thanks for the links.

:confused: :confused: But I didn't post any links :confused: :confused:

Todd Peterson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don, ok.
Thanks for the guiding me to the old threads. I found info from there.

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you remove the old magnets from the pulley on your unit?I did a similaR CONVERSION AND AM NOW WONDERING WHETHER THOSE MAGNETS WERE NEEDED FOR THEIR WEIGHT IN THE PULLEY which is also the vibration damper I think??

Todd Peterson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The local marina went to mercrusier and asked that question. The magnets do not need to be there if you go to an OEM alternator kit. I found the kit for my 470 mercruiser for $299 at http://www.breezeworks.net/

Excalibur

Recruit

Performed this conversion on an 89 Thompson Carrera 200 with a 3.7 last season using the kit from Wagner (WAGDC60). Very tight fit involving cutting the deck and moving the engine cover forward and installing a 2 inch upolstered spacer behind the seats. Have lots of tips & pics if anyone is interested.

fiber

Recruit

Excalibur,
Very odd that I happened upon this thread. My Voltage Reg just went out on me and was looking for a better way than bitting the bullet and ordering one from Merc. Any pictures or tips would be of great help to me as I am planning on tackling it this next weekend. Thanks in advance...

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

:confused:
Fiber,
You did not mention whether you have made the alternator conversion. If you have , I have been told if you go to a 3 wire alternator you can bypass the regulator completely.

Can anyone confirm this?

I haven't made the conversion yet but probably will soon, old altenator only putting out about 12.5 volts.

Larry

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

:confused:
Fiber,
You did not mention whether you have made the alternator conversion. If you have , I have been told if you go to a 3 wire alternator you can bypass the regulator completely.

Can anyone confirm this?

I haven't made the conversion yet but probably will soon, old altenator only putting out about 12.5 volts.

Larry
Both one wire and three wire dont use the factory regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.