Blower exhaust

mossygo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay, I have a 470 merc and found that the accordian style tubing from exhaust gasket to blower had a huge hole in it. So I went and bought some more but haven't quite yet replaced it. I was wondering if anyone has replaced the tubing with anything else besides the dryer vent looking stuff? I'd like to find something that I won't have to replace anytime soon, a little more rigid. Any ideas?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Blower exhaust

from exhaust gasket to blower had a huge hole in it.

The Bilge Blower has Nothing to do with the Engine.....
I don't quite understand your Question........

If you're talking about the Bilge Blower,.......
That Flimsy Tubing will Outlast Several of the electric Blowers........
The Tubing going Into the Blower, should Start down low in the bilge, to pick up the Gas Fumes........

joemamma_222

Petty Officer 1st Class

No to Hijack But these things are supposed to "suck" air outta the engine compartment of "blow" fresh air in ? I just noticed my bayliner trophy was blowing in...I guess I'll be switching that if need be !

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Definitely supposed to be blowing it out and not in. Whoever replaced your last blower hooked the hose to the wrong side. The idea is as Bond-o said - to exhaust the fumes, not to bring in fresh air for a better explosion...

And as far as replacing the hose, they are pretty durable vinyl. Maybe someone replaced it with a low quality substitute, but either way, they will outlive blowers as stated...

ziggy

Admiral

jm, yep, suck air from the bottom of the bilge where fuel vapors settle to, and blow them out. ya should have two vents too. one points aft, one twards the bow. the one ponting to the bow one would be (ram) air in, and the aft faceing one would be the one that has a vacuum behind it whilest in motion that would suck that air out from the bottom of the bilge thru the blower hose or from turnin on the blower motor to create the low pressue at the bottom of the hose in the bilge suckin the fuel vapors and blowin them out the aft facein vent....that's the way i understand it anyways.....

i've only seen the flimsy dryer vent hose type stuff and would have to agree with bondo. the flimsy hose seems to outlast the blower motors that i've had.....don't say much for blower motors does it......

joemamma_222

Petty Officer 1st Class

is it just +/- can I just switch the wires ? or should it be turned ?

frayed knot

Seaman Apprentice

Just take the hose from the exhaust side of the blower and put it on the intake side, and vice-versa with the other hose. Unless it's one of those inline type blowers, then just flip it around. No need to rewire it.

Bondo

Staff member

I don't know if the blower motor will take a reverse of polarity to change directions or Not,......

I doubt it,... But you could Try.....