What to use in place of OMC gasket sealing compound?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
What is the best thing to use now that replaces the Omc stuff? Need it to re-install outdrive..

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What to use in place of OMC gasket sealing compound?

There are automotive gasket sealants. However, nothing quite like the OMC sealer. A can will last you years for about $10.00. I'd just get the real stuff and forget the rest.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Cobra, Have been looking online for it no luck yet.
I read that Loctite aviation gasket sealer will work but i bet thats high dollar stuff...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You get that at the auto parts store for $6

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

If no one already has it, this is a stock number to Triple Guard Grease, 8oz. Part# 508298. Have found a couple of E-Commerce sites that at least have it listed on their sites

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks guys, I take it the aviation sealer is as good or better than the OMC sealer.
I need to pick up the grease also..

Plus can i use marine wheel bearing grease in the u-joints or is the triple guard better? The omc manual says to use wheel bearing grease in the u-joints and triple guard on the rest..

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Have you tried a BRP dealer? There is this belief current out there, that OMC stuff isn't readily available anymore. Yet I can get most, if not all my parts, directly from a BRP dealer.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I also read in several places that the aviation gasket sealer is an appropriate replacement for the OMC gasket sealer. When I searched for the OMC stuff online, one Boating Parts Store even listed the aviation gasket sealer as superceding the original OMC sealer.

Also heard that Johnson/ Evinrude (BRP, as above) has something very similar (if not the same) as the OMC stuff, and that there is a Merc product that is very similar as well...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks, I think i'll check with Napa about the aviation sealer or try to find the BRP stuff online..

Thanks for the link also Lyndy

dave4151

Seaman

I did a bunch of searching on this last spring. The one thing I remember is that along with being a gasket material it is also a thread locker. Here are the notes I copied from different places around the net.

"OMC Gasket Sealer is the same as Merc's Perfect Seal. In the automotive trade it is known as Perfect Seal #4

Loctite 30517 is exactly the same as OMC Gasket Sealer

Note that Permatex Ultra Black is an equivalent to OMC Gasket Sealing Compound."

I used Merc Perfect Seal.