oil filter cross reference 4.3 mercruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

packerman

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone out there cross referenced the mercruiser 4.3 oil filter to a reg. automotive 4.3 GM engine oil filter, so I can grab one from the shelf on the next shopping trip? Year is an "06" Also, I have a couple other questions since I'm asking. First, the timing sticker fell off after a couple weeks ( a little sticky backed paper, barely sticks). Will they be able to time it when the time comes? Lastly, where do you find the P/S cooler and why doesn't the owners manual mention about draining that in the winterizing section? (freshwater) Thank you for any answers.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: oil filter cross reference 4.3 mercruiser

You haven't given enough information to answer any of your questions, is it carbed or MPI, is it remote oli filter or on the block. You sure it has power steering, or just hydraulic steering.
Also, Merc doesn't go by year on anything after 98, only by serial number. So if you can post your sn, then maybe you can get some help.
Depending on what you have, you may not need to time it, so that sticker doesn't really matter.

packerman

Seaman Apprentice

First.....I loved the step by step winterizing, Don!! I printed it and I've winterized my 3.0 for 15 years. Info, it's carbed, oil filter on the block and it's power steering like you'd find in the car. S/N..... 0W354593 I wish I had the EFI....$$$$

packerman

Seaman Apprentice

I don't think my reply made it....I'll try again. It's carbed, w/filter on the block and it has power steering w/pump run by the belt like in a car. s/n... 0W354593 Nice post for simple step by step instructions to winterizing! Long overdue for someone to take the time and inniative to write it down for everyone in nice simple steps. Much appreciated here!

Don S

Look on the back of your engine just above the flywheel housing, you should find your PS cooler. It probably sits at an angle and drains automatically when one of those blue drain plugs is removed.
I really don't recommend anyone winterize an engine if they don't know where things are located or how the system works without being shown by someone that knows. Such as a Mercruiser tech. I've never seen a carbed 4.3 Merc yet, but would bet you dinner that within a couple of minutes of looking at your engine, I could tell you everything about it. But, I work on them for a living, and I don't memorize every engine and drive configuration and there are lots of them for the same engine.
If you happen to have an advance type timing light, you don't really need anything but the 0° TDC mark and that one is cut into the vibration dampner, and the notch in the timing chain cover is also 0.
Since you have Thunderbolt V ignition, you do have to set timing IF the distributor is distrubed, but since you don't have points, it shouldn't need to be adjusted. If you do, it has to be put into base timing mode to set timing (and adjust the carb, so be careful).
You can order the timing decals, they are part number 37-864250 and cost less than a buck.

packerman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don!!! I've been wondering where that P/S cooler is..... As for the rinky dink sticker they stick on the engine for the timing, I figured they must have someway of doing it if needed, but I just wanted to check for piece of mind or be calling MerCruiser. As for what's under the distributor, I'm not looking til it's time to cross that bridge. Points or electonic...... electonic I imagine, but I've been winterizing my 3.0 for 15 years and I'm kind of use to it and its points. I'm pretty sure about it being carbed because as an option, I think the EFI is 220HP vs. 190HP and $2000-$4000 more in money. But then again, if your working on these..... I would have to think I have something backwards. But most importantly, I'm looking for a cross reference on the quicksilver oil filter so I don't have to make a special trip to a dealership for it. I plan to use SAE 40 oil and all the simple things for me. Then again in Wisc., you only have five decent months for fishing and three for boating. So in those 12 weeks you have almost every little town holding a festival and, weddings etc. Your lucky to use a boat 6 weekends a year and I can't go to overboard for 12 of 365 days. Anyways, thanks for your time and patience!!!

Don S

As for what's under the distributor, I'm not looking til it's time to cross that bridge. Points or electonic......

The Thunderbolt V ignition IS what you have, and it is electronic.
Mercruiser has never used points in a V6 and hasn't used points in even the 4 cylinder engines since the early to mid 80's.

As far as the oil filter, the standard GM 4.3 oil filter will fit, and no, I don't have a cross reference number for every filter out there. Just ask for a 4.3 filter wherever you go.

ron7000

Banned

if your oil filter is quicksilver #41815 or 35-802884Q
which on the late model GM 4.3L is 18mm x 1.5 thread, 2.625" o-ring diameter then these should fit:

short length 4.25" filter (oem):
Sierra 18-7879
Aquapower 6004
K&N HP2001
AMSOil SDF23
ACdelco PF51, 52
Napa 1036, 1040, 1190, 1340, 1387
wix 51036, 51040, 51190, 51340, 51387
Motorcraft FL-402
Purolator PER111, 112, 173, 307, 1091, 4011; L24011
FRAM PH3980

long length 6.25" filter:
napa 1286
wix 51286
ACdelco PF1406

if these aren't the right size, then it may be the same size which is on your 3.0, a PF25 (short) or PF35 (long).

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are a few other cross reference numbers if you want to stick to marine filters. Note these are for a 1994 VP 4.3L V6:

OMC 502903
Mercury 35-802884T
Sierra 18-7879

packerman

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you guys also......... for the oil filter #'s Ended up with the Purolator L24011. Longer than the original, which was blue and had any #'s painted over as it's a new engine. I've heard before that a longer filter is just fine and probably will hold up better and keep a tad bit more oil for the engine. Thanks Again!!!

max62

Seaman
I realize it's an old thread but thought I should add the following information:

The FRAM PH3980 (and any ??3980) should be listed under long length filters as they are over 6in tall.

Mobil1 M1-101 works (short version) and so does M1-201 (long version).

My suggestion:
It it fits, go with the longer/taller version. It typically has larger filter media inside -> more filtering surface area -> easier flow -> holds more dirt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.