OMC tilt motor removal .....HELP!

OMCboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am having a very difficult time in finding how to remove the tilt motor (for testing/cleaning/fixing) from my 1969 120HP I/O.
I have the clymer manual and it is such a joke - the paragraph sez to 'remove the 2 screws holding the motor - refer to figure x' - well, figure x is a picture of a hand holding the trim motor next to the intermediate housing. a lot of help that is!

Can anyone help me with specific instructions? I cannot see any screws/nuts/bolts either on the inside or outside of the boat that would be holding this motor in. Is it possible that I have to remove the trim motor clutch/gear assembly to access the tilt motor screws?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

moeMC

Cadet
Re: OMC tilt motor removal .....HELP!

not sure but I think the bolts actually go through the motor and hold it together , as well as to the drive

KaGee

Admiral

Yes, the bolts go through the motor on those older units.

OMCboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how to you mean "go through"?
sideways at the housing or lengthwise from the back of the motor towards the housing?

I really appreciate this help guys!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

they go from the fwd end of the trim motor to the transome end of the trim motor, either 3/8 or 7/16ths hex heads in a vertical orientation if memory serves. I owned on of them pigs in a 69 johnson ebbtide with two carter 1bbl carbs.
if memory serves you will make up words your grandkids will remember trying to get to them.
but the book makes it simple. just disconnect the wires and remove the two bolts.
motor come right off :):).
some hulls will require engine removal to access the bolts.
let it sink on the trailer one time and you remember to remove the plug and lift the bow for life, dont ask how I know.

OMCboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, we'll take another look tonight. I don't think removal of the engine will be required because I can see and feel all around the tilt motor, just can't see or feel any bolt heads but now I will look a little closer at the end.

these are going to be some pretty long bolts then, eh? the full length of the tilt motor plus the part that threads into the housing...?

moeMC

Cadet

the bolts go long ways through the motor or , from end to end and also bolt to the drive should feel two bolt heads on motor end plate

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
The tilt motor is accessed from inside the boat. It is behind the engine on the port side. It sounds like you are looking at the clutch, which is on the outside. There will be either 2 or three wires coming out of the tilt motor, green for down to the grass, blue for up to the sky and if you have a third wire white or black for ground.