• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

swapping from OMC 800 to Mercruiser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swapping from OMC 800 to Mercruiser

If I change my I/O from it's present OMC 800 to a Mercruiser system, which Mercruiser will work on my particular boat? I have a 1984 Proline 23' walkaround with a OMC 3.8, 185 hp stringer. I don't need more power, so I'd be satisfied with a 4.3. I also want something that's as simple and reliable as possible, without breaking the bank. I am not sure which Mercruiser type, the Alpha One, Gen two, or otherwise, would suit my purposes.
    I've been told that instead of rebuilding the part of my transom where my current transom seal goes, I can attach a plate to cover it and mount the Mercruiser outdrive to that. Are there any pros and cons of going that route? I don't mind doing the rebuild, I can do anything and have a very solid transom to start with.
    Assuming that I go ahead with the swap, what year 4.3 should I be looking for, and EFI or carbureted?

Re: swapping from OMC 800 to Mercruiser

Well,...........

"what year 4.3 should I be looking for, and EFI or carbureted? "

Any of them are Fine,........
    Newer is Always Better,..And It'll be Pretty New,+ Expensive for the EFIs........

"the Alpha One, Gen two, or otherwise,"

Either of these would be a Great Choice,.........
    Bravos are Expensive,+ Harder to find,........ As well as Over-kill for what you want......
    I'd try to stay away from the old Pre-Alphas,..... Also known as Mod.1s......
    There are also a few others,.... But the Alphas will be The drive for you......

"I can attach a plate to cover it and mount the Mercruiser outdrive to that."

Nope,......... Won't Work,...... Don't even Think about it..........
    Mercruisers Need 2" of transom Thickness,...... Total.....
    Just Epoxy in a few pieces of Plywood,+ be Done with it,..... It'll be Plenty Strong,+ Last Forever......

I've been involved with Several of these Same Refits,..............
    There's Really only 2 ways to Go,.............
    Either go out+ Buy a Donor Boat,..... 1 that has the Motor,+ Drive You want,......
    Then Bone it Out,.... Junk It.......
    That way you HAVE All the little pieces that make Everything fit together,..... Otherwise it'll Break the Bank in No Time......
    Or,............
    If your Pockets reach your ankles,.............
    Buy Everything Brand New,+ Have SomeBody Else put it together For you......................

Good Luck..........
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Thanks. I will most likely be shopping around for a donor boat.

Comment

I see that quite a few people have looked at this post. Are there others out there that have done this conversion with ideas about it?

Comment

Bondo prettty much has it covered.....
          I can't think of anything much to add....
          Other than make sure this is the boat you want to keep.....
          I think you will be hard pressed to find a donor that will be as cheap as you would like.....
          Then, you still have the task of installing the new package.....
          IMHO, you would be better off looking for a newer boat with a Merc. or Volvo package, keeping in mind that Merc.'s are much more plentiful with regard to spare parts & service as well......
          If you can find a donor/ new boat with a closed cooling system, better yet!
          & Try to stay away from the one piece manifold/riser set-ups.......Good Luck!........JK
          Disclaimer!: In my inexpert opinion......

Comment

I've noticed complete power packages sold on EBay, 5.7 small block with an Alpha 1, for as little as $2000.
            From Mercruiser:
            Anyone who uses a service procedure and/or tool, which is not recommended by the manufacturer, first must completely satisfy himself that neither his nor the productís safety will be endangered by the service procedure selected.

Comment

You can buy complete stern drive packages for similar prices close to similarly sized outboards. The I/O's are actually a little cheaper.

See link below.

http://www.dougrussell.com/Products/...=47&Category=6

The folks at Doug Russel are very helpful.

Comment

My Point above is that IF you buy a Repower Package like the 1s above,.........................

You'll be Short Abunch of Little Pieces,................
                The Controller,.........
                Wiring for the Boat-side of Things,......
                And Alot more Stuff...........
                And,....
                Those Little Pieces will Drive the Price Up about what you Paid for the Package,..... Or More..........

With a Donor Boat,........
                You've Got it All...................

Comment

What's up with the stringer? Wouldn't it be much cheaper to find used stringer parts?

Sounds like a wack of dough and time otherwise.

Comment

The stringer system is already 20 yrs old and some parts are next to impossible to find. For instance, last year I had to replace the distributor. That part was made by Prestolite, no longer in business. After much searching I bought the only one I could find on Ebay. Same thing for the trim pump and motor mounts.
                    I really like the boat, which is in good shape and gives a really good ride, so I'll probably keep it for a few more years. I just need a good, reliable drive system that I can find parts for when needed.

Comment

Parts are not that hard to find. Doug Russell has just about every part. Even the motor mounts and trim cylinders. They actually have brand new trim cylinders in stock. Of course they are very expensive but you could find it. Surprised you have trouble finding a trim pump. They're all over the place if you search the internet. You probably could have swapped out the distributor for a Mallory. I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as you. You can repower with a brand new OMC 800. They are available, or you could just get a rebuilt one. My case is in good shape and when it comes to rebuild, I am just going to take it off and haul it up to the shop. Got to be cheaper this way than buying one from dougrussell.com. You could always plug the hole and throw an outboard on back.

Comment

Would Mercruiser part no. 827691A1, transom adapter plate,
                        work in this application?

Comment

Originally posted by JIm
                          Would Mercruiser part no. 827691A1, transom adapter plate,
                          work in this application?
                          Without a Picture,........ That # means Nothing to Me,........

Maybe somebody's got a Look-up on it............

Comment

I looked up the part at a couple of web sites and although I couldn't find a pic of the plate I did find out that the price is around $800 from BAM in Florida. I don't know what you get for that, but it sounds kind of pricey for an adapter plate.

Comment

Personally,.......... I use Epoxy,+ Plywood........

The Only "Adapter Plate" I've ever seen,.....
                              Allowed a Merc. to be bolted into an old Volvo cutout...........

It's another of those "Little Pieces" you get from a Donor Boat,........
                              I cut out the Merc. Hole from the outer transom of the Donor,+ Trim it to Fit the Old Hole..........
                              Once you establish the Position of the New Hole,.......
                              It's just a matter of Grinding, Glueing, Grinding, Filling, Sanding, Flairing,+ Sanding,...........Alot.......

Comment

Working...
                              X