mercruiser 140 GLM manifold questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

brown bombuh

Cadet
I had a cracked manifold, and replaced it with a GLM aftermarket unit.

I have some concerns about the quality of this part, and am wondering if my experience is typical or if I got a bad unit.

Upon removing it from the box, I imeadiatly noticed the paint was flaking right off, and that the paint had been aplied right over casting residue (foam, sand etc). And that there was painted over casting debrie in all the ports etc.

After using a wire brush and compressed air to blow most of the crap out of the manifold, I noticed the casting had porosity as evidenced by voids in the machined mounting surfaces.
I went ahead and gave the exterior another coat of paint, but removed the paint from the machined gasket areas to get a better seal.

After installing the carb. I noticed that the machining is off...the carb is not centered over the manifold, it is offset about 3/8" to the front, so that part of the casting is partialy blocking the front half of the port. the heat riser for the choke was also the wrong diameter to accept the choke heat tube. The waterjacket locations at the riser had also been changed sligtly, and wheren't a good match with the original mercruiser riser.

Since I had allready repainted the manifold I didn't call the vender to ask about an exchange or refund etc.

The price was right, but the quality now seems really suspect on these aftermarket parts.

Anyone else have simialr experiences?

SHould I try to elongate the manifold port so as not to partialy block the base of the carb?

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: mercruiser 140 GLM manifold questions

I haven't had any experience with GLM's maifolds, but I was thinking about buying one from them. I am glad you chimed in on that, because I won't buy one from them now. My 140 manifold is cracked, but is holding up to the JB Weld repair quite well. As a machinist and experienced in cast iron foundary process, it sounds like their quality is **** poor. Voids or (gas holes) on a machined area might cause you sealing problems also. I would still contact GLM and see if they will exchange or refund your money. It sounds like you are going to have problems with your carb linkage and possibly porting issues.

brown bombuh

Cadet

Well, the price was right and you get what you pay for ... I guess.

I had a hairline crack on the exterior bottom of my original manifold and was going to try to use JB weld on it, but it was rusty inside and i couldn't be sure if exactly where water was entering the intake ports.

I'm new to boating and have been searching trying to get up to speed.

Do you think its worth it to remove the manifold and try to elongate the throtle body opening to better match the carb?

BTW - I did order the correct rochester style manifold for my carb.

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Brown,
Before doing any machining on the manifold, I would contact GLM and tell them what you told us. Hopfully they would exchange the manifold, if not refund your money. Once you start cutting on that manifold, your chances of a refund will get smaller. You are probably in a hurry to get on the water, but be patient, or you might end up with worse issues in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.