Appropriate Carb Rebuild Kit?

thisuldoit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1989 4.3L V6 Mercruiser engine with thunderbolt ignition. The number on the carburetor is 3304-9565, however there is no name on it to identify it. I need to rebuid it, but I am unsure as to what kit is appropriate for this.

Thanks!

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Appropriate Carb Rebuild Kit?

It's probably a Holley. The Holley number will be on the choke horn, may have to scrape some paint to see it. Alternatively, if you have a factory service manual it may tell you which Holley number they used on that engine. I would advise getting the factory manual that includes the fuel system as it will be invaluable during your rebuild. The difference between it and the aftermarket manuals is significant.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Might try using the Quick links on the right of this page
8)

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Blk-n-Blu said:
Might try using the Quick links on the right of this page
8)

Yeah, didn't think about that but good call. Found this there: http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...d_poid.112359/gd_row.23/session_id.895496609/

That's a reman carb., Sierra #18-7604 and is a 4v Rochester spreadbore. Disregard my post on Holley. Do you have a 2v or 4v. 3304-9656A1 is the 2v and 3304-9565A2 is the 4v.

If 2v, check this out: http://www.stemtostern.com/catalog/DisplayProductDetails.asp?DepartmentInventoryRefID=444592

Thus, if 2v, I would think that MER3310-807764A1 is the merc number to use to find the rebuild kit.

thisuldoit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The link was for the 3304-9354A2 not the 3304-9695. Are these the same or are they different carburetors?

Thanks!

thisuldoit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Please disregard my last post. Brain is asleep. I will have to look again and see if I can tell if it is 2V or 4V? What should I look for other than the number?

Thanks.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

2v or 4v means two or four barrel...

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

You have a 2 barrel Mercarb the carb # should be a 3304-9565A1. The siera kit # is 18-7098 and the float part # is18-7202. Napa should be able to get this kit and float for you.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I got it, check this out:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/sierra_parts/8024/80240582.htm
Scroll down, looks like your kit is Sierra#18-7098 if 2v or 18-7095 if 4v.

edit: Reel Poor types faster than me. Not sure how he knows it's a 2v as both 2v and 4v were used on the 4.3 in '89 (at least in the tables I found) but he is one of the wizards here...

thisuldoit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you Reel Poor and bjcsc. I will call Napa tomorrow and get the kit and float. Wish me luck with the rebuild. Everyone tells me patience and labeling is the way to go. I have a good shop manual as well with good diagrams, so I should be ok. : - /

Thanks.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Carb. rebuilding is not hard, but it is precise. Most people who fail at it do so because they run into something they didn't expect (like the clutch screws in a Holley or gasket they don't have) and they just skip that part. Be thorough and yes, solid DIY practice is using ziplock sandwich bags and a Sharpie, and a dig. camera comes in handy, too.

thisuldoit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You read my mind. I have the ziploc bags, the black sharpie and the digital camera all ready to go.

Funny.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Napa also sells a gallon can of Gunk carb cleaner. I would recommend it. It even has a basket in the can you can put the parts in and soak over night (don't soak plastic or rubber parts). The secret to a good carb rebuild is to get it clean, and an overnight soak is a good first step. If you dont have air to blow the carb out, those small compressed air cans like you would use on your computer keyboard will work great, or a 12 or 16 oz can of spray carb cleaner. you will want to blow through ALL the holes in the carb to make sure they are clear of any debries. Take your time and don't skip any steps.

imagerequest.aspx

thisuldoit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds good Reel Poor. I will have to go back and get that can. I just purchased choke and carburetor cleaner.

Question: I have disconnected everything from the carb, and have taken off the manifold nuts, but I cannot seem to remove the carb. It is "stuck" to the manifold. I know not to pry it off, so I wanted to see if there is a trick to freeing it. I am assuming that the gasket has just become like a glue between the carb and the manifold.

Thanks.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I use a rubber mallet to free stuff like that. Works good on risers, too. If you can't get it to budge with a rubber hammer, I have also found that the rubber strap wrenches work great to give you a little leverage. I used a strap wrench to free my main metering body when I rebuilt my carb as it was stuck, too - it didn't take much.

Do you have a compressor? If not, you will need canned air as mentioned previously. It's critical to blow clean air through every single tiny passage once you've loosened everything up.

thisuldoit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok. I have used a rubber mallot and a strap wrench. Still no luck on getting that carb to come off the manifold. It is stuck really well.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Is the carb mounted on studs with nuts or with bolts ? If on studs it may be stuck on the studs due to corrosion. If so saturate with some type of penetrating oil. If mounted with bolts it's probably just stuck on the gasket. If you are sure you have ALL the mounting bolts/nuts off it's just going to take some gental/forceful persuation.

How many bolts did you remove ?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

OK, now you might to have to pry on it. But you have to be smart how you do it. If you think anything I write is crazy - don't do it, bu this is what I would do. Take a razor and go around the joint between the carb and manifold. Sometimes they paint or repaint carbs after they reinstall them and the paint can be what is holding it together. Try the mallet and strap wrench again after "cutting the paint". If it is still a no go, use a large screwdriver or crowbar and wedge the end somewhere secure and use it to bump up on a solid part of the carburetor. It shouldn't take much. As you know, under no circumstances should you attempt to wedge anything into the sealing joint. Good luck.

As Reel Poor said, make sure before continuing that you didn't miss any nuts/bolts.

thisuldoit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is mounted on studs. I took 4 nuts off. I will go out and put some penetrating oil on them. I guess the humid Virginia weather has taken its toll on the studs.

Thanks.

b00tstrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You need to "shock" it loose. Try tapping with a hammer and a wooden dowel. The wood will soften the blow of the hammer. I find a rubber mallet will just bounce off ..