• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Appropriate Carb Rebuild Kit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appropriate Carb Rebuild Kit?

I have a 1989 4.3L V6 Mercruiser engine with thunderbolt ignition. The number on the carburetor is 3304-9565, however there is no name on it to identify it. I need to rebuid it, but I am unsure as to what kit is appropriate for this.

Thanks!

Re: Appropriate Carb Rebuild Kit?

It's probably a Holley. The Holley number will be on the choke horn, may have to scrape some paint to see it. Alternatively, if you have a factory service manual it may tell you which Holley number they used on that engine. I would advise getting the factory manual that includes the fuel system as it will be invaluable during your rebuild. The difference between it and the aftermarket manuals is significant.

Full Gallop
    1998 Larson 176 Flyer
    VP 4.3GSLK
    VP PJX PowerJet

Comment

Might try using the Quick links on the right of this page
      8)

Comment

Originally posted by Blk-n-Blu
        Might try using the Quick links on the right of this page
        8)
        Yeah, didn't think about that but good call. Found this there: http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfinde..._id.895496609/

That's a reman carb., Sierra #18-7604 and is a 4v Rochester spreadbore. Disregard my post on Holley. Do you have a 2v or 4v. 3304-9656A1 is the 2v and 3304-9565A2 is the 4v.

If 2v, check this out: http://www.stemtostern.com/catalog/D...ryRefID=444592

Thus, if 2v, I would think that MER3310-807764A1 is the merc number to use to find the rebuild kit.
        Full Gallop
        1998 Larson 176 Flyer
        VP 4.3GSLK
        VP PJX PowerJet

Comment

The link was for the 3304-9354A2 not the 3304-9695. Are these the same or are they different carburetors?

Thanks!

Comment

Please disregard my last post. Brain is asleep. I will have to look again and see if I can tell if it is 2V or 4V? What should I look for other than the number?

Thanks.

Comment

2v or 4v means two or four barrel...
              Full Gallop
              1998 Larson 176 Flyer
              VP 4.3GSLK
              VP PJX PowerJet

Comment

You have a 2 barrel Mercarb the carb # should be a 3304-9565A1. The siera kit # is 18-7098 and the float part # is18-7202. Napa should be able to get this kit and float for you.
                Of those who receive good advice, only the wise will profit from it.

If you need it....Get it
                If you want it....Wait
                If you have it....Flaunt it

sigpic

Comment

I got it, check this out:
                  http://www.*****************/parts/si...4/80240582.htm
                  Scroll down, looks like your kit is Sierra#18-7098 if 2v or 18-7095 if 4v.

edit: Reel Poor types faster than me. Not sure how he knows it's a 2v as both 2v and 4v were used on the 4.3 in '89 (at least in the tables I found) but he is one of the wizards here...
                  Full Gallop
                  1998 Larson 176 Flyer
                  VP 4.3GSLK
                  VP PJX PowerJet

Comment

Thank you Reel Poor and bjcsc. I will call Napa tomorrow and get the kit and float. Wish me luck with the rebuild. Everyone tells me patience and labeling is the way to go. I have a good shop manual as well with good diagrams, so I should be ok. : - /

Thanks.

Comment

Carb. rebuilding is not hard, but it is precise. Most people who fail at it do so because they run into something they didn't expect (like the clutch screws in a Holley or gasket they don't have) and they just skip that part. Be thorough and yes, solid DIY practice is using ziplock sandwich bags and a Sharpie, and a dig. camera comes in handy, too.
                      Full Gallop
                      1998 Larson 176 Flyer
                      VP 4.3GSLK
                      VP PJX PowerJet

Comment

You read my mind. I have the ziploc bags, the black sharpie and the digital camera all ready to go.

Funny.

Comment

Napa also sells a gallon can of Gunk carb cleaner. I would recommend it. It even has a basket in the can you can put the parts in and soak over night (don't soak plastic or rubber parts). The secret to a good carb rebuild is to get it clean, and an overnight soak is a good first step. If you dont have air to blow the carb out, those small compressed air cans like you would use on your computer keyboard will work great, or a 12 or 16 oz can of spray carb cleaner. you will want to blow through ALL the holes in the carb to make sure they are clear of any debries. Take your time and don't skip any steps.

Of those who receive good advice, only the wise will profit from it.

If you need it....Get it
                          If you want it....Wait
                          If you have it....Flaunt it

sigpic

Comment

Sounds good Reel Poor. I will have to go back and get that can. I just purchased choke and carburetor cleaner.

Question: I have disconnected everything from the carb, and have taken off the manifold nuts, but I cannot seem to remove the carb. It is "stuck" to the manifold. I know not to pry it off, so I wanted to see if there is a trick to freeing it. I am assuming that the gasket has just become like a glue between the carb and the manifold.

Thanks.

Comment

I use a rubber mallet to free stuff like that. Works good on risers, too. If you can't get it to budge with a rubber hammer, I have also found that the rubber strap wrenches work great to give you a little leverage. I used a strap wrench to free my main metering body when I rebuilt my carb as it was stuck, too - it didn't take much.

Do you have a compressor? If not, you will need canned air as mentioned previously. It's critical to blow clean air through every single tiny passage once you've loosened everything up.
                              Full Gallop
                              1998 Larson 176 Flyer
                              VP 4.3GSLK
                              VP PJX PowerJet

Comment

Working...
                              X