Cost of new shift cable

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class
89 OMC Cobra with 4.3 - How much should I expect to pay including labor to have the shift cable replaced?

tonyvail

Cadet
Re: Cost of new shift cable

I spent the weekend installing one. The cable cost $170.00 and I got prices as high as $225.00 You need a $10.00 seal of which I destroyed trying to reinstall the lower unit. I called around and received total quotes in the $800 range. I spent all weekend on the project. The motor had to be moved six inches as it was in the way of installing the cable. I think that moving the engine changed the alignment, and now I will still have to take it to a shop for an alignment and install of the lower unit. It is one difficult job! I would break it down as $200 in parts and approximately $600 in labor if there are no unexpected problems.

tonyvail

Cadet

tonyvail said:
I spent the weekend installing one. The cable cost $170.00 and I got prices as high as $225.00 You need a $10.00 seal of which I destroyed trying to reinstall the lower unit. I called around and received total quotes in the $800 range. I spent all weekend on the project. The motor had to be moved six inches as it was in the way of installing the cable. I think that moving the engine changed the alignment, and now I will still have to take it to a shop for an alignment and install of the lower unit. It is one difficult job! I would break it down as $200 in parts and approximately $600 in labor if there are no unexpected problems....also, I am talking about the lower shift cable. This is the one that usually needs replacing. There are two upper cables. They are about $30 each and involve much less to install. I replaced those last year.

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW - that sounds really high. A grand to replace the shift cable? Does that sound right to everyone else?

tommays

Admiral

i dont wanna tell you how long it took to fix the problems i ran into doing a simple bilge pump change :)

4 wires had to be repaired and resealed while standing on my head :(

Tommays

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I dont know if its really easy on a volvo penta sx-m but the cable cost £33 ($61). It took about 1 hour to feed it out and bleeding knuckles and about 1hour to put the new one in. Didnt have to remove the drive or anything.

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

$61 sounds more like it d:) I'll call a dealer and see what he quotes me I guess. Can't be a grand...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Why would you have to move the engine 6 inches? This does not sound right. $170 sounds like the high end for this cable. The place I buy my parts from sells them closer to $130.

I would estimate an installation price of between $500 and $600.

I have done 3 of these and paid to have one done 14 years ago. 14 years ago it was around $350 including changing the gimble bearing.

tonyvail said:
tonyvail said:
I spent the weekend installing one. The cable cost $170.00 and I got prices as high as $225.00 You need a $10.00 seal of which I destroyed trying to reinstall the lower unit. I called around and received total quotes in the $800 range. I spent all weekend on the project. The motor had to be moved six inches as it was in the way of installing the cable. I think that moving the engine changed the alignment, and now I will still have to take it to a shop for an alignment and install of the lower unit. It is one difficult job! I would break it down as $200 in parts and approximately $600 in labor if there are no unexpected problems....also, I am talking about the lower shift cable. This is the one that usually needs replacing. There are two upper cables. They are about $30 each and involve much less to install. I replaced those last year.

jluedke

Cadet

I dont mean to hijack the thread but I am having pretty much the same issue but mine is staying in forward regardless of what you try to shift it into.

how difficult of a job is it to replace this cable. I have read the hastings thread and printed it out. But as with everything else...... reading about it and doing it are two different things....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It is not that hard. I would say the hardest thing to do is get the adjustment at the engine correct. The rest of the operation is nuts and bolts.

It helps that you already have experience removing and installing the drive.

My local dealer loans out the jig that sets the bell crank angle to 90 degrees. You can do it with a square but it is much easier with the tool.

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

FYI - for anyone else reading this post for info, I ended up paying 399 for labor AND for the cable, and he even had a hard time getting it adjusted. I have a good mechanic! If anyone is in southeastern Mass, let me know and I'll hook you up with his name.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ANOTHER FYI

For those that may have read cmyers_uk's reply, the Volvo SX cable is a completely different cable and shifting system than a Cobra. So don't expect to find a cheap lower shift cable for a Cobra, the SX style doesn't even have one.