Is this fuel line going to be Coast Guard approved?

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, Mercruiser/ Chevy 350 hooked to an alpha one. Finally getting around to converting my Thunderbolt igniton, 4 barrel rochester carb system over to the multi port fuel injection system I bought end of last season. Am in the process of running fuel lines and am wondering if this high pressure fuel hose (rubber end part) is going to be legal? I did check the regs, and I am running steel line all the way except the ends where they hook into the fuel rail.

Hope this link works...
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/adamborz/IMG_2403.jpg

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Is this fuel line going to be Coast Guard approved?

I hope that you are aware that there are Federal Laws concerning fuel system components in gasoline powered boats.

All fuel items have to be certified that they withstand a 2.5 minute direct flame while filled with gasoline. There are also regulations on types of materials, clamps, hoses, pumps, vents, etc.

If you are converting an automotive fuel injection system, not only are you breaking the law but putting yourself, your loved ones, and innocent bystanders in danger.

Some additional info is in this link:

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/fuel/fuel.htm

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a marine unit.

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I checked the above link, the problem I am having is there isn't much info with regards to fuel injection. As it is a completely closed fuel system, unlike carbs. The feed line is 3/8" Steel, the return is 5/16" steel. The little rubber end hose I'm using with clamps is high pressure fuel injection hose. It does say fuel injection on it, although I can't see "Marine" anywhere... hence my question. I definitely don't want to blow myself or anybody up, that's why I am asking.

AdamB said:
It's a marine unit.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

There are two things you need to check. The first is what the rubber hoses attach to. Each "barb" must be exactly that. It can't be just flat, i.e. hose over steel fuel line. The barbs have to have a flare, bulb, or be barbed. If your injection system is a marine unit, chances are its fittings are correct. However, what did you do to the end of the steel fuel line you used? If you use a double flare tool ( cheap to buy at Harbor Freight or free to rent at some auto parts stores like Pep Boys) it's easy to make bulbs on the end of steel fuel lines. Follow the setup for double flaring, but stop after the first part and you'll have a bulb. Smooth any rough edges with emery cloth or sandpaper. If you have never used a double flaring tool practice on some scrap line until you get it to do what you want. Once you're good there, go to a marine store and get some A1 rated Coast Guard approved fuel line. Cut off the sections you need making sure the "A1" writing on the hose is visible on the pieces you use. Regular worm gear hose clamps are legal, but use stainless, and personally I would double them up if I had the room.

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can see the other barb fitting on the fuel rail after the pressure regulator (on the other side). It does have the double barbs. On the steel line, I was just going to leave the fitting end, minus the fitting which I guess is single barb/ flared. I know it was a major %^&*& to get the rubber hose over it. I'll check into the A1 hose...

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Here is a quote from the article. "This system requires a return line to your fuel tank which many of the newer boats already have."

Mercruiser nor Volvo Penta do this. Thay use a vapor tank which is intigrated into their fuel system.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

On a related note, I was told by a dealer that they would not work on my boat because my fuel line, which I fabricated myself using A1 hose and good quality double-wide hose clamps, between my carbs (dual 1 bbl) and fuel pump was not USCG approved because it was not a metallic line. In looking at the above USCG link, it seems that A1 hose is approved for this application. Correct? I think this dealer was just trying to sell me a new metallic fuel line that would have set me back over $250 after installation.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Show him the USCG information and maybe they will have a change of heart. Might be a policy the Dealer needs to modify...they should verify your compliance before assuming you are not.

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is amazing how everything marine is 3 times as much for identical stuff (I'm just talking spark plugs, filters etc, not distributors, carbs, alternators, etc)

am_dew said:
On a related note, I was told by a dealer that they would not work on my boat because my fuel line, which I fabricated myself using A1 hose and good quality double-wide hose clamps, between my carbs (dual 1 bbl) and fuel pump was not USCG approved because it was not a metallic line. In looking at the above USCG link, it seems that A1 hose is approved for this application. Correct? I think this dealer was just trying to sell me a new metallic fuel line that would have set me back over $250 after installation.

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyhow, vapor tank aside, I'm going to assume it'll pass any USCG inspection as long as I use A1 rubber ends etc. I've been inspected by the Coast Guard Aux before, and they are just happy when they see my flame arrestor...they certainly never ripped out my floor boards to see what type of fuel line I have running to my "return to tank line" or if I had a vaporizer ('course I had a carb before not MPFI). This system utilizes a throttle body that looks pretty identical to a carb setup since it is covered by the flame arrestor. I am hooking an electronic remote fuel pressure gauge on the dash, so I can watch the fuel pressure. If the gauge starts to go squirrely, I know I have a leak...or something. This system does have all the proper safety features like the pump will turn off it the motor stalls etc. It is a GM Corvette ECU for heavens sake. Oh, and it's water proof too.

tommays

Admiral

There are different rules on the PRESSURE side of the pump as to the type of connection and how its made

If you read deeper into the REGS its not as simple as it seems

Tommays

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never is when the Guvment's involved!

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's why I'm asking u guys. I have the metal lines the stainless clamps, don't know about fire testing...:$

tommays said:
There are different rules on the PRESSURE side of the pump as to the type of connection and how its made

If you read deeper into the REGS its not as simple as it seems

Tommays

tommays

Admiral

I cant tell you exactly whats legal BUT it cant be ONLY hose clamps

It needs to be a more permanent fitting like a swaged fitting on a hydraulic hose

for example (Aeroquip brand fuel hose and swaged fittings)

Tommays

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

It lives... sweet idle. Haven't tested her on the water yet, just the muffs. No leaks... pretty simple install too. I'll post a picture tomorrow in the light.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nobody said it wouldn't run, but is it legal and safe? ? ? ?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I'm not sure a pressurized return line is legal in a gasoline powered boat. There was something in the regulations about a fuel pump line cannot be very long and has to be within about 12" of the motor to minimize the potential of a leak into the bilge. A gravity leak is one thing, but a pressurized gas leak is something else.

You might want to contact the folks at ABYC who set the standards for boatbuilding and engine installations.

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don S, believe me I respect your opinions. I've never heard of a modern fuel injection system leaking. Unless something catastrophic happens to on O-ring on an injector (and I replaced the ones that looked even a little rough)

My return line isn't pressurized, it just bleeds off from the system. After the pressure regulator reads 40 psi, the rest of the fuel leaks past (through 5/16" metal line).

Here is a question, my mechanical fuel pump still feeds this electrical pump (that way I could elevate the electric pump w/o tank drain problems) and there is the weep line from the mechanical pump that used to just go the carb. Should I hook this line into a vacuum line on the throttle body? I see a ported line which wouldn't be as strong as full vacuum...

Oh, when I got my floor out, I see I'm using the same clamps as the marina that installed my tank. Nothing special. Of course it is a replacement tank and not the original but I would assume the marina would do it right... right?