New Merc 305 won't align

I replace the eng 305 Merc with the same engine, front eng mount back in same side location but when I go to align the eng with the alignment tool it keeps telling me to lower the front and I run out of adjustment space. Removed the eng and took the back end apart double checking for worn bolts or elongated holes and still everything looked good. Lifted and lowered the end several times adjusting the front mounts equally up every time and sometime it helped and sometime got worst. Contacted Bayliner and they told me to contact mercruser because it was your design. Do you have any suggestions?
Forgot to mention it's a Bayline 2655 305 eng Alpha 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
take a look at your rear mounts, they may have collapsed

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... As Scott says, the rear mounts may have slipped, 'n failed, or possibly, the bearin' needs to be aligned, as it swivels in it's outer ring,...

kenny nunez

Captain
AS Bondo said check that the center of the rear mount has not separated from the rubber outer area. While the engine is out put the alinment bar into the bearing and swivel it around then try to get the bar close to center. After the engine is back on the rear mounts connect the hoist only to the front of the engine then raise or lower it until the alinement tool goes in the coupler, smack the bar left, right, up & down to square the bearing in the retainer with a 2 X 4 or plastic hammer. Then lock the mounts in place. Quite a few times that is the only way I could get everything to line up.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you did not replace the rear mounts and assembled them correctly with the double wound spring and IF THE DRIVE WAS VERY EASILLY REMOVED
then suspect collapsed rear mounts.

Thanks guys. Leg came out really smooth and never touched the rear mounts.how can the rear mount collaspe or separate from the rubber outer area. Time to get the book out again but it's stored with the boat. maybe pull it back out. I have talked to alot of peoiple and techs and you guys are the only ones that made sense. Bondo do you mean the Gimbal bearing

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Hard to explain but look close, the rubber mount is flush or below the housing on top and protrudes out the bottom
Untitledepng.png

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey -- 1 thought that may be of help if the rear mounts seem OK.

A 1.00 inch OD shaft inserted into the coupler can provide a good visual of that and which way the engine needs to go

Also -- Have you checked the engine coupler for runout which can be seen by rotating the crank using the same 1.00 inch OD shaft

Reasoning : ( I have seen people chasing their tale over this. If its out you need to split the difference or replace the coupler in extreme cases )

you guys have been so helpfully I decided to go dig some snow and open that engine compartment to take some pictures of the rear mount. back of the boat is the only part thats not covered go figure. see anything wrong

Attachments

• photo282405.jpg
    photo282405.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo282406.jpg
    photo282406.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo282407.jpg
    photo282407.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
cant log into the site, need some help
but can leave a reply??????????????

achris

More fish than mountain goat
What's important is what's below the mounting, not the spacer above it. Did you remember to put the double wound washer in? If you omitted that, then the tool will tell you the front needs to go down... And you'll never get there. You need to confirm the double wound washer is in place.

Rear mounting bolts MUST be torqued BEFORE you start the alignment procedure.

Chris........

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Per your statement The alignment tool it keeps telling me to lower the front and I run out of adjustment space.

Do you have a feel for how far its out of alignment ? Its seems that measuring / knowing this would be valuable to determine your next steps.

If you can locate a 1.00 diameter piece of round stock that can provide a great visual indicator of whats going when inserted into the coupler in relation to the surrounding gap as it passes through the gimbal bearing. In a perfectly aligned engine the stock would be centered. ( assuming it fits snugly and does not wobble ) Going from memory 6-8 inches is plenty long for the section of stock. 1.00 is the same size as the end of the alignment tool that enters the coupler.

While you at it--And before making any other adjustments-- Rotating the engine can determine if engine coupler runout is causing issues. ( I have found this to be fairly commonly on of older boats ) In the cases I have seen splitting the difference at the motor mount adjustments was adequate .

Once you get that set the alignment tool can be used to align the gimbal bearing and your dive can be assembled.