Replacement Parts During Rebuild

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Should be getting my block back early next week so I can start assembly.....going to take my time over the holidays into early spring.
The current engine was ~ 10 yrs old.
​Considering replacing the following: oil pump, water circ pump, starter (definitely), fuel pump (?)....
Any other suggestions/comments?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Cam bearings, crank bearings, have the crank checked/ polished and the cam inspected. How about the pistons/ rings, replacing them too? Valve job on the heads?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
How's the oil pan look? (corrosion?) if so I'd clean it up and treat any spots that may have surface rust with a rust converter then brush coat on 2 coats of rust oiliem primer and 2 coats of brushed on rust oliem paint. Then spray it well with Corrosion X. Same thing with the timing chain cover. New exhaust right?

​Tony did you use SK for the machine shop work and if so how did you like em? I may need them for a future project......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
always replace the oil pump. I personally pull any oil pump apart, check end clearances and address as needed.

timing cover - always new

fuel pump, circulating pump, etc..... run until they are dead, same with anything else you can bolt to the outside of the motor.

if the pan is metal and has corrosion, have it blasted, then use zinc primer and a 2-part paint

agree with Corrosion X, Fluid film, or Boeshield on the motor after its assembled and painted

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Pan looks good........put plenty of rustoleum on last time.
Gonna replace oil pump.........looks like Melling 55.

Hi Lou, yes I used SK, very close to me.
​We had a differencxe in opinion on the pistons.........I eventually went w/ what I wanted; price for the machine work was reasonable.
​We will see the work when I pick it up.
New exhaust is on the shelf waiting.............along w/ cam/lifters/timing set.
Still debating on roller rockers........