Installing hinge pin grease fittings on Bravo 1

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Neither of my Bravo's have grease fittings for gimbal rings where hinge pins are located. My previous Alphas all had them. I can not really tell if these are sealed or not. I have never seen sealed "anything" on a salt water boat. But, these may be special. Regardless, I have to pull ODs for maintenance this winter, so I plan on installing grease fittings at that time. Are they difficult to drill and tap? I assume that I will drill where there is a small indent spot on the gimbal ring? Anyone have instructions or video of performing this task???

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I have the info for the missing steering arm but the hinge pins are just as easy. Center punch the dimple, drill 3/8ths deep with a #3 drill bit, and then drill with a 1/16th inch bit untill you hit the SS hinge pin. If the pins are already removed then just drill thru the housing . Tap with a 1/4 x 28 tap and install the SS grease fitting.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I have the info for the missing steering arm but the hinge pins are just as easy. Center punch the dimple, drill 3/8ths deep with a #3 drill bit, and then drill with a 1/16th inch bit untill you hit the SS hinge pin. If the pins are already removed then just drill thru the housing . Tap with a 1/4 x 28 tap and install the SS grease fitting.

THX! I can't understand why MC didn't already have these drilled out on Bravo 1. All my earlier Alphs had them.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

Are the zerk fittings tapered or straight threads???

achris

More fish than mountain goat
All the later drives, Alpha and Bravo, are being fitted with hinge pins, uni joints, gimbal bearings and swivel joints without grease fittings. There is nothing wrong with these sealed items, they last just as long (or longer as most people don't grease them enough) as the previous greased items. To my mind, anything that is sealed and greased for life is a big step forward. One less thing to think about on maintenance day. Drilling and adding a grease nipple is a backward step, and will just allow a point of entry for water. ie, don't do it.

Chris.....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Achris, I disagree. . The upper steering shaft pin rusts and takes out the seal allowing water to seep in at the steering arm
The grease helps prevent the corrosion for a longer life of the seal. The hinge pins must rotate in the steering arm. Should they seize in the arm everytimr you raise or lower the drive you screwing and unscrewing the hinge pins. Needs grease there too.
U joints and gimbal bearings, I`m old school and believe they need to be greased and maintained. They just rip up too much of the housing when they let go at 4000 rpm.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Achris, I disagree. . The upper steering shaft pin rusts and takes out the seal allowing water to seep in at the steering arm
The grease helps prevent the corrosion for a longer life of the seal. The hinge pins must rotate in the steering arm. Should they seize in the arm everytimr you raise or lower the drive you screwing and unscrewing the hinge pins. Needs grease there too.
U joints and gimbal bearings, I`m old school and believe they need to be greased and maintained. They just rip up too much of the housing when they let go at 4000 rpm.

My experience dealing with trucks and autos is that the sealed ones last longer, BUT they are not exposed to salt water and dissimilar metal conditions. I'm old schooled too and grease my own vehicles and marine equipment. I don't even pay to have my oil changed because when I change my oil, I KNOW IT WAS DONE and I get an opportunity to examine tie-rod ends etc.

All the grease fittings that I have examined are tapered threads. Are the marine zerks tapered? I realize that they SHOULD be SS, but not real sure if they have other specialties like straight threads? If you know, please reply. THX!