Need internal voltage regulator for Mercruiser alternator.

c1steve

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The alternator in my 350 Mag MPI Mercruiser is overcharging, so I assume I need a voltage regulator. Mercruiser does not sell the regulator separately. I notice there are some on Amazon, but I am wary about another Chinese or other cheap part. Any recommendations on where to buy a regulator?

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just curious -- have you measured the output voltage of the alternator ?

With alternators selling for under $100 have you considered replacing the entire unit ?

c1steve

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The analog gauge has showed 16+ volts last two times out in the boat. I will double check it with my digital meter, but most likely the regulator is bad. The alternator is not very old, probably has 150 hours on it. However it does get worked fairly hard, as I have multiple nav devices, radio, plus radar often running at once.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
make sure the sense wire from the alternator is connected to the battery.

any alternator shop can repair your alternator cheap. the VR is nothing special, only the two screens on the ends of the case make it a marine alternator

c1steve

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I remember that Delco regulator, the first of the common internal regulators from many years ago. However the one Merc. used is different. One can see heat sink fins. Amazon has them for $17, but I am sure they must be Chinese. I will check with a semi-local shop and ask if they can send me a USA regulator or two.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Amazon prices are about double what your local shop will have in stock.