86 260 Timing

edcourter

Seaman Apprentice
Timed a few cars with timing light. What are the dynamic numbers and setup (if any) for an 1986 Mercruiser 260/V8 (350), 4B Carb and electronic ignition. Where do we call one cylinder? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... 8* Btc,... #1 is the forward left cylinder, just like every other SBC in existence,....

With the T-Bolt IV, hook up the light, 'n shoot,.... No wires to change or move,...

edcourter

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, Can do. So 8D BTC @ idle, (650RPM). No jumpers no shunts. Should I check it at another RPM to see if its advancing?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
30 degrees total advance by 2800 RPM (8 degree base, 22 degree advance)

edcourter

Seaman Apprentice
On an older engine you would measure the damper diameter, compute the degrees and put a 30 degree mark x inches from TDC. With the electronic ignition (no vacuum, no fly weights), could you just check that its advancing to a visual 30 degrees and assume its probably working as intended? Thanks for the help

Bondo

Staff member
could you just check that its advancing to a visual 30 degrees and assume its probably working as intended?

Ayuh,... It either works,..... or it don't,.....

I've never checked for the stated full advance, 'n never had a problem,...

T-Bolt is a fine ignition, 1 of the Best,....

boatman37

Lieutenant
Most timing lights have a degree dial so tape isn't needed

yep. get a light with an advance dial on it. check it for base then turn the dial to 30 and check it at higher RPM. should read 0 on the damper if your light is set at 30 and your timing is accurate. BTW-i tried one of those tapes years ago and it flew off as soon as i started the engine. went with fluidamper balancers after that. already had the marks on it :joyous:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
On an older engine you would measure the damper diameter, compute the degrees and put a 30 degree mark x inches from TDC. With the electronic ignition (no vacuum, no fly weights), could you just check that its advancing to a visual 30 degrees and assume its probably working as intended? Thanks for the help

older Volvos came with timing tape. for the $3 its a good investment.

all performance dampers have timing info engraved the outer diameter. stock does not, however like many have stated, most timing lights have an advance knob.

I only check full advance if there is a problem. the dizzy either advances or it doesnt.