Mercruiser MC-1 (pre-alpha): new shift cable? DIY job?

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,

I have a mercruiser 165 with a MC-1 (pre alpha) outdrive. I had a mechanic change the bellows, which he did, but then he needed to get a new shift cable. Now he says that the old shift cable was a slightly different style, and he needs to "drill and tap out" part of the outdrive to install the new shift cable.

It's been months, and it's just not getting done. I'd like to just get the boat back and do it myself, if it's a DIY job. I'm decent with tools, I'm comfortable drilling and tapping the outdrive for this new cable, I just don't know.... where and how to do it, because i've never done it before.

So the two things I'm worried about: One, the actual drilling and tapping... does anyone know enough about these old outdrives to know where I'm supposed to drill and tap? And two, once it's drilled and tapped, I don't know how to actually install the cable. I'm somewhat worried about getting it right both at the shifter end AND on the outdrive end. When I took the outdrive off, it looked like the shifter on the outdrive needs to be installed just right. Is that difficult?

Or do I just need to wait this guy out and hope he gets to it someday?

thanks!

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Marc,

Thanks for the reply. Apologies, but for a dummy like me, those instructions weren't as clear as they could be.... it says that it must be tapped from the "front", but what does this mean? In the diagram, it looks like they are tapping it from what I would consider the "back", but maybe that's just me, or maybe I'm looking at it backwards.

At this point, the bell housing is installed with the new bellows in place. Does that mean that I would have to take everything off, and reinstall the bellows myself, after I just paid this guy ~800 to install the bellows? Or are they saying that I can do it from the "outside", so I wouldn't need to remove the bell housing?

Also, if I'm understanding this properly, it's basically saying that I need to just remove the old cable, and the old cable is in a smooth shaft. So I'd just need to tap out that shaft, and install the new cable. Is that right?

Once installed, is it difficult to line everything up and reinstall?

thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
it says that it must be tapped from the "front", but what does this mean? In the diagram, it looks like they are tapping it from what I would consider the "back",

Ayuh,.... The front is the side that gets there 1st, regardless where yer standin', lookin' at it,....
Does that mean that I would have to take everything off, and reinstall the bellows myself, after I just paid this guy ~800 to install the bellows?

Ayuh,.... Which is why it's always recommended ya replace All the rubber parts at the same time,...
Also, if I'm understanding this properly, it's basically saying that I need to just remove the old cable, and the old cable is in a smooth shaft. So I'd just need to tap out that shaft, and install the new cable. Is that right?
Nope,.... The old cable screws in from the front,....
After ya run the special tap All the way through, the new cable screws in from the aft side,...

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes. I purchased that exact part a couple of years ago and installed it with no problem. I had the gimbal housing and bell housing disassembled, so that may have aided the job for me. I know others here will tell you the old style is not available, but as you have learned, that is not true. Maybe the new style, after tapping the hole is easier to install when the major parts are not disassembled and that is why they are suggesting it.

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you bbook. I think my big concern after doing the research is that I can't tell what is the new style vs. the old style. Like, I don't know exactly what a "fore entry intermediate" shift cable is. Is this what I need? an "intermediate" shift cable?

Is this the same thing? same seller, but different price...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Mercru...ld-Style-Stranded-Core-73723A01-/291258689496

Thank you in advance for any input :)

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The cable you last showed appears to be the same as the first one you linked. I don't think "intermediate" cable is the right term. It is the "lower" cable, as opposed to the "upper" cable that comes from the control. The old style lower cable screws into the fore side of the gimbal housing and the new style screws into the aft side.

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
yeah, I wasn't sure what an "intermediate" shift cable is. I don't see any "lower" cables, but these "intermediate" cables look like they're the same thing? Does anyone know if these "intermediate" shift cables are the same things as a "lower" cable? Maybe this seller is just using the wrong wording or something?

thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The cable pictured is a AFT entry type and needs the straight tap if your replacing a old type

Correction , didnt have the glasses on, that cable pictured is front/fore entry type

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
old style= remove the drive , and look to see if you see a nut. No =old style and must be removed from the front , then retap for new style

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,

Thanks for the info BT Doctur. Sorry for being dense, but this is part of why I'm confused about all the talk about "aft" and "fore" and "front" and "back". In my mind, the cable pictured is a fore-type, but maybe I'm using the term differently than most people.

It looks like the cables I linked to attach from..... let's say the side of housing that is closest to the bow of the boat. So that's the 'aft' side? In some ways, that makes sense.... it is the "back" of the housing!

So then, I have two more questions. One, is this type of cable pictured?the kind that attaches to the side of the housing that is closest to the bow of the boat?the old style?

And two, if I decide to go with the new style and tap out the housing, do I insert the tap from the side of the housing that is closest to the bow of the boat, or the side of the housing that is furthest from the bow of the boat?

Another way of asking that is, if I need to tap out from one specific side.... if I need to tap out by inserting the tap on the side closest to the bow, I would need to remove the housing. However, if I have to insert the tap from the side of the housing that is furthest from the bow of the boat, I actually don't have to remove the housing. I can just leave it on, and tap it out without removing it.

Sorry for being so confused, but a lot of these words are being used differently from how I would expect!

thanks!

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I won't argue with the experts about what is the best procedure or even whether the pictures depict what they say, but I can guarantee you that Sierra part number is a old style cable that screws in from the fore side.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
No need to remove the housing,remove the old cable by cutting it and using a long socket to remove the remains.
You start the tap from the "front of the boat" going rearward, out the back.If you have the long tap handle it makes it easier but you also can use a open end wrench on the square shank.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
sie-18-2158_lg__63887.1469113083.1280.1280.jpg
Notice where the brass nut is located , this is a old type shift cable

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
[h=1][/h] Shift Cable, Mercury - Mercruiser 73723A01
This is the picture of the old style cable from the Mercruiser parts diagram. It is available from multiple internet sites.

73723A01_lg__83872.1469112926.1280.1280.jpg

• Shift Cable, Mercury - Mercruiser 73723A01 - Shift Cable, Mercury - Mercruiser 73723A01

? Previous | Next ?

(Image 1 of 1)

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Don't try to use the old style cable. Merc updated the cable for a reason. Just get ahold of the right tap and do the job properly. When you take the drive off and look at the bell housing on the back of the transom, you are looking at the BACK of the bell housing. The flange that the bellows secures to (on the bell housing) is its front side. The hole that the cable comes through on was threaded all the way through when it was made. The old cable threaded in from the front, and the threads in the back are slightly corroded and gummed up. That's why you need to run the tap through.

Once you have the threads cleaned up, fit a new shift cable bellows. Then push the engine end of the cable through the hole in bell housing (from its back), and pass it through the new bellows and into the engine compartment. Once you have it pushed all the way in, start rotating the cable to thread is into the bell housing. You may need a friend in the boat rotating the cable from the engine end at the same time to assist and reduce the chance of the cable twisting.

Once the cable is tightened in (you either remove the sleeve and use a standard socket, or use a deepsocket) you can put the inner cabel into the outer. Set up the shift slider properly (as per the book) and put the drive back on. Then setup the engine end of the cable and go through the adjustment procedure as per the book.

As I said at the beginning, don't try and get a new 'old style' cable. Bad idea.

Chris.........