Forgot to Winterize Alpha One Gen II

kkirksey247

Recruit
I've got a boat with an old Alpha One Gen II Volvo 4 cylinder, and I live in the mountains in Western NC. I grew up in Florida, where we didn't need to winterize, and I'd only had boats with outboards before. It only dawned on me that I hadn't drained the water and put anti-freeze in the cooling system when I was in Wal-Mart the other day and saw the jugs of anti-freeze in the auto dept. As soon as I got home, I removed the two drain plugs on the port side of the block, but only got little drips. Worried that I've ruined the engine. :( We haven't had any hard freezes below the low twenties, and most days it's been in the 50s or 60s, but the really cold weather is going to hit in the next couple of days. Looking for advice on what to do. Is there a safe way to heat the block to melt any ice that might have formed? How can I tell if ice has done damage to the engine? Thanks!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Hook up your muffs and run until up to temperature. Then if it isn't cracked you can properly drain to winterize. No need for antifreeze if you get all the water out. Air don't freeze.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Its pretty common for debris to collect at the bottom of the passages and clog the drain holes a little -- After removing the plugs try using a small screwdriver or similar poking through the debris it and see if it drains.

Usually everything breaks loose and passes through the drains fairly easily if you wiggle the tip a little once it starts to drain.

Do the same for both block and manifolds

Assuming their is stall water in your engine -- Its pretty likely this is what your seeing.

Many people like to pour some antifreeze in after everything drains with the plugs still removed to chase out any water and ensure everything drained. Its good to run some AF through the engine water pump and power steering cooler as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I've got a boat with an old Alpha One Gen II Volvo 4 cylinder,

there never was a Volvo motor connected to a Mercruiser Alpha one, gen 2. There were 2.5 liter and 3.0 liter GM industrial engines connected to the drive. So, not sure what you have

when you pull the drain plugs, you need to poke around in the plug for debris.

winterization in a nutshell
  • run motor on muffs to get some heat in the motor
  • turn off
  • change the engine oil and filter
  • start motor to make sure no oil leaks
  • turn off
  • drain the block and the exhaust manifold and elbow - using a bit of wire to probe the port
  • pull large lower hose from circulating pump and drain
  • change the gear oil
  • replace fuel water filter
  • remove drive and inspect alignment, gimble bearing and bellows
  • re-install drive
  • store with drive down.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have found that the picks (for removing hoses) they sell at Harbor Freight tools are great for poking out the drain holes in an I/0. You can get a surprising amount of rust flakes, sand, etc in there.

kkirksey247

Recruit
Thanks for all the replies. Turns out the drain plugs were clogged. I cleaned them out, put in antifreeze, and did all the other suggested winterizing tasks last night. Just in time because it's going to go down to 12 degrees F tonight. Thanks again!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Thanks for all the replies. Turns out the drain plugs were clogged. I cleaned them out, put in antifreeze, and did all the other suggested winterizing tasks last night. Just in time because it's going to go down to 12 degrees F tonight. Thanks again!

Did you run it and all was good?