Gimble bearing save.... possibly?

cableguy1979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok a few of you know the situation with my 1996 crownline 225 ccr. I took it to the ramp finally and found a new issue. I found my leak into the bilge (intake pickup line at the water neck) but when i got the boat home i decided to take the outdrive off to do a reseal. When i looked at the gimble bearing.... well it looks to me it needs to be replaced. I can't move the gimble bearing by hand no matter how hard i try but the engine starts and outdrive goes in gear with no weird noise. My question is since i believe rain is whats gotten inside the gimble bearing should i try to grease and work the bearing loose or just replace it?

I tried one time on a different boat to pull a gimble bearing out with no luck. I bought a puller and it just wouldn't come out no matter how hard i tried. Is there a easier way or should i take it to someone?

Attachments

• photo281971.png
    photo281971.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Gimble bearings are cheap, get a new one

alldodge

Staff member
My question is since i believe rain is whats gotten inside the gimble bearing should i try to grease and work the bearing loose or just replace it?

Replace it

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Yes replace it, also what is the blue material around the sealing ring and the dent in the sealing ring

cableguy1979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
looks like the bearing is $100 and if i have to pay someone that will surely be another $300. I know it sounds like I'm trying to be cheap...and to be honest i am. I need to have the prop rebalanced, outdrive resealed, new impellar and pump, fuel tank cleaned, engine tuned up, and i haven't even touched the interior so im trying to get by until i know the boat is worth it.

alldodge

Staff member
The pic shows rust, and you said you could not turn it by hand, so the bearing has issues. If you can pump enough grease into it to push most the rust out you could use it for a short while (1 hour, 1 month maybe a bit longer, rolling the dice) before it needs to be replaced. No matter how much rust comes out there are unseen issues

You could replace the bearing your self with a few tools. Get a loner slide hammer from the auto store to pull. You can even do the reseal of the drive

I'm finding bearings for under 40

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I would agree with the replace it thinking. You can find 'buys' for gimbal bearings. I've seen many in the $40 range. And if you keep a Mercruiser sterndrive you need a few tools or you will forever be at the mercy of both the hourly rate and the availability of a marine mechanic willing to do maintenance on your boat. I don't know how many posts on this site showing how someone creative and cost conscious built some sort of tool to install a gimbal bearing, along with tools built for pretty much every other task.

Loaner tools are a great help as well. Most of the time you only need a slide hammer once every x number of years. So picking up a loaner is smart.

scoflaw

Ensign
Along with the slide hammer Autozone will have attachments made for axle bearings that work well

Scott Danforth

Staff member
For about $175 you get tools, gimble bearing and bellows

A can of keyboard cleaner (freon)held upside down usually shrinks the bearing enough to make removal easy

cableguy1979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok you guys have convinced me. I will try to replace this myself I mean what could go wrong worst case scenario I installed the bearing incorrectly and the engine shuts down... Right?

alldodge

Staff member
If it's installed incorrectly the alignment bar will not fit, or the drive will not go full in, so no bad things will happen

Rick Stephens

Admiral
For about $175 you get tools, gimble bearing and bellows

A can of keyboard cleaner (freon)held upside down usually shrinks the bearing enough to make removal easy

You are significantly aging yourself Scott. Freon is a CFC and illegal to release into the atmosphere - since 1989! Holes in the ozone, dontcha know. Today's Dust-Off contains difluoroethane. Don't want all the penguins to get sunburned.

I really miss freon. It was absolutely the best stuff to dip brake pads into to degrease and reuse them. Later on we used to tank handgun parts before plating, especially cast steel frames that are somewhat porous and soak up oils. I miss freon.

alldodge

Staff member
Freon is a CFC and illegal to release into the atmosphere

Come on Rick, you can still buy Freon but must have a license to get it. I have a 30 pound tank of 22 which is needed for older house systems. My lower unit uses 22 but new upper unit uses 401

Scott Danforth

Staff member
R134a is often used in some "freeze it" and other dust cans along with diflouroethane

Either way, sprayie stuff in a can that makes things cold

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Youre only as old as you feel....im 12......however about 115 in the morning

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Some of my friends will say they grew up in the seventies. I always say I neglected to grow up in the seventies.

Just as an aside Scott - I am always glad you hang out here and share your wide knowledge of things mechanical. I get more little tidbits I didn't know about Chevy motors from your musing. Appreciated greatly.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Some of my friends will say they grew up in the seventies. I always say I neglected to grow up in the seventies.

Just as an aside Scott - I am always glad you hang out here and share your wide knowledge of things mechanical. I get more little tidbits I didn't know about Chevy motors from your musing. Appreciated greatly.

I used to build Buick motors when I was young and foolish.... and had more money than brains.