Leak at transom

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well, have been at this for a while....350 MPI with Bravo III and I started getting a transom leak. Boat is a Rinker, 2005 with about 300 hours on it. So, assumed I had a bellows issue and I did bring the boat home and do it myself- took me a while but did it. Upon inspection of the old bellows came to the conclusion this was not my problem and would probably still have as issue...got it back together before Irma came to visit FL, rivers have been flooded out and just got to where I could get it back in the water- it was worse than when I started. It is not leaking from any of the bellows, it is leaking around where the water pickup tube comes in - lower than the steering pin so in between there. I was nervous with the amount of water coming in and I was having a problem with my truck so after a quick look, I yanked it out and that was a good decision as the truck went down after I got it pulled. Had visions of it filling and dragging the hole rig in the water...so, it's either where the water tube comes through and I'm not real clear how that connection is made....does the tube come through the transom and then connect in the beige side then to the tube going to the water pump? Or, is it a case of even if the tube was not connected , it still would not leak into the boat? The motor was pulled to do a coupler repair and seems I've had the issue since. I need to check that connection but on my quick inspection, it did not seem to be coming from there- around there but not there....then we have where the speedo comes through and that has a connection on either side. The bilge side the tube was broken off and thought that might be the problem...blocked that from the outside so that was not it- unless it is coming around the part that is in the transom. No experience with that. Same for the trim sensors wiring, goes through the transom and some part there to block off the water....has to be coming in along in one of those places.....anyone have any similar experience? My truck is in the shop and will get it back to the water so I can try again but this is killing me!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
put boat in water, use flashlights, mirrors and your phone on a selfie stick to see where its coming in

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks- I was having some truck issues as well (one of those days!) so I yanked it out pretty quickly...I will do that as well as have a portable bilge pump I can hook to the battery or something so it does not fill while I'm looking. I assume at some point, the water weight will over take the truck and the whole darn thing will be in the water otherwise. At least it is not the bellows and not the steering pin. Seems unlikely it would be a transom seal , just have to get back at it...bah, humbug!