Pertronix distributor replacement for Thunderbolt IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

minimans

Cadet
Has anybody used this distributor? My 86 Cobalt with 260 Mercruiser died on me whilst on the river. following the flow chart it seems the Thunderbolt IV module is bad. Since they are NLA I have been looking at alternatives and wish to know if anybody has actually used or are using the replacement distributor from Pertronix as at $200 it's less than half the other systems like Mallory and the Delco EST. Sorry if this topics been done to death but I could'nt find anybody who has actually fitted this?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can get second gen TB-IV modules with the adapter harness

I would get the voyager or a mallory before I picked up a pertronix

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Considerin' the Delco is a kit, with the entire ignition system, it's My choice,....

minimans

Cadet
Trouble is I don't have the required money to go with the suggested fix that's why I asked about the pertronix? I restore vintage cars for a living and have used the pertronix II ignitor kits for years without a single problem is there a specific problem with the marine unit Scott?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the delco voyager is a complete system. the mallory unit is bullet proof and you can adjust your advance if you play with motors. I have personally had to replace components on a pertronix unit.

if you dont have money for a distributor for a boat, you dont have money to go boating..... Boating is the second most expensive hobby, only second to owning an airplane. it is more expensive than racing.

minimans

Cadet
Well your probably right about about not affording a boat but I've managed to own and run boats for the last 35 years and this is my first breakdown on the water! guess I'll just save the money and buy a Delco unit. I personally wouldn't buy a Mallory as there automotive stuff has given me problems in the past usually fixed by using an Ignitor kit.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Has anybody used this distributor? My 86 Cobalt with 260 Mercruiser died on me whilst on the river. following the flow chart it seems the Thunderbolt IV module is bad. Since they are NLA I have been looking at alternatives and wish to know if anybody has actually used or are using the replacement distributor from Pertronix as at $200 it's less than half the other systems like Mallory and the Delco EST. Sorry if this topics been done to death but I could'nt find anybody who has actually fitted this?
Howdy,

I have another way to look at it...........

The Pertonix marine "billet" distributor (from their own site) is approx $300 in round numbers (NOT including shipping, tax etc or the coil and rev limiter)

At $450, (free shipping/no tax) the OEM 15248T02 replacement module is $150 more than the Pertronix (NOT COUNTING A NEW COIL and rev limiter) ..........which with a 30 gallon fuel tank is a only little more than than a fill-up of $4/gal (insert your fuel tank size and cost here) gasoline.....and all you have to do is connect the new module and go boating.

I think my choice would be to just replace the module, and go boating.

ymmv......

Rick

minimans

Cadet
Thanks but I have a wholesale automotive account and I can buy the distributor for a shade over $200.00 I may still yet buy a replacement module If I can test out the rest of the 30 year old components, The only reason I was considering the Pertronix was the overall cost to me and the fact that it gets rid of a complete 30 year old Ignition system. My post was to see if anybody had any real life feed back on the distributor but it would seem from the lack of any responses that it may not be the most sensible idea!
On the subject of Rev limiter which crops up when talking of replacing Ign. systems I have to ask why do you need one? If the boat is set up properly with the correct Prop then Rev's are limited by the prop?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
the fact that it gets rid of a complete 30 year old Ignition system. My post was to see if anybody had any real life feed back on the distributor but it would seem from the lack of any responses that it may not be the most sensible idea!
On the subject of Rev limiter which crops up when talking of replacing Ign. systems I have to ask why do you need one?
The TB ignition systems are some of the best ignition systems ever made for a boat. I don't know if there is a rev limiter built into a TB IV ignition (there is in the TB-V), but a rev limiter will "save" a drive or an engine if you get "air" in rough water(where the prop is out of the water briefly and the RPM spikes over max RPM at WOT......)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ayuh,.... Considerin' the Delco is a kit, with the entire ignition system, it's My choice,....

i had pertronix put on and in seemingly unrelated events had running while hot issues. My new mechanic replaced all that with the delco kit, hasnt run this well since I've had her.

minimans

Cadet
i had pertronix put on and in seemingly unrelated events had running while hot issues. My new mechanic replaced all that with the delco kit, hasnt run this well since I've had her.

Seems like I need to just save up and buy the Delco. Thanks for the Info.

minimans

Cadet
The TB ignition systems are some of the best ignition systems ever made for a boat. I don't know if there is a rev limiter built into a TB IV ignition (there is in the TB-V), but a rev limiter will "save" a drive or an engine if you get "air" in rough water(where the prop is out of the water briefly and the RPM spikes over max RPM at WOT......)

Ah I can see that would be a good reason for the rev limiter but at 60 years old I don't do a lot of fishing at WOT in rough water!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hey! I'm 57 and one of the fun things is running at a sea with a bit of breeze, pulling about 35 knots with the nose trimmed ever-so-slightly up. Boat starts popping up out of the water and the trimmed up drive pulls the stern down slightly ahead of the bow, so instead of slamming as the boat re-enters the water, it sort of 'squishs'... Lands very softly... As the engine was still in the water I'm still pulling my 35 knots, but every now and then, a slightly bigger wave, and we catch air... Engine bottoms out on the rev-limiter, hull does it's squishy thing again and we're all good. :D You're never too old to enjoy WOT! :D :D :D

Chris..........
BTW, your igntion problem. If you buy a new module and for S & G, also get a new sensor, you will have replaced the either system electricals. As long as the distributor shaft doesn't have any wear in it (and it shouldn't as boat engines see very little use in comparision to the automotive brethren)... You'll have a virtually brand new system, and one that licks the pants off Delcos and Mallorys...

1,000 hours in a boat at an average of 3,500rpm is about 15 years worth (average use). Cars average about 2,000rpm, so that's the equivalent of 1,750hours, and the average speed of a car over its life is only about 40mph (at best)... 40mph for 1,750 hours is 70,000miles. About 6 years of a car's life. Do the math and you'll see that most boat engines die from external causes (freezing, rusting out, water ingress), few, very few ever wear out.

minimans

Cadet
Well after looking around at various solutions I have decided to go with the Pertronix III Distributor and matching epoxy coil. The pertronic III has a built in Rev. limiter and multi-spark. It comes with a kit to allow modifying the fitted advance curve, I have a distributor tester at work so will re curve it to the published Mercruiser specs. the total cost to my door was $306. I will fit and report back on how it works but probably not till after Christmas.

SugerShanks

Cadet
Well after looking around at various solutions I have decided to go with the Pertronix III Distributor and matching epoxy coil. The pertronic III has a built in Rev. limiter and multi-spark. It comes with a kit to allow modifying the fitted advance curve, I have a distributor tester at work so will re curve it to the published Mercruiser specs. the total cost to my door was $306. I will fit and report back on how it works but probably not till after Christmas.

Any update on this topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.