Throttle -- Sticky shifting and stuck in reverse

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did some outdrive work last year and installed it myself with new rings and oil. The throttle cable was well lubed. The outdrive went on after much cursing and the final boot kick seemed to get it onto the bolts.

All season, I've noticed the shifting to be stiff. Sometimes smooth, other times hard to move the shifter in or out of Neutral. When in reverse, it sometimes stays in reverse -- even though the shifter is in Neutral. I've had to put it back into reverse and then back into Neutral and it's 'fine'.

So I'm guessing that the shift mechanism in the outdrive may be a bit out of place. Maybe it's 'fine'. Is it possible to install the drive and have the shifting mechanism create these type of problems? First thought is to uninstall the outdrive and get it in there smoothly and correctly? My lower back doesn't want to tackle the lower install again. I have a homemade drive stand -- but it doesn't line up perfectly for that finishing move -- all stooped over and the lower back pays the price.

Maybe a new throttle cable? That would be a mechanic job, probably beyond my skills?

Thanks Gang!!

alldodge

Staff member
the final boot kick seemed to get it onto the bolts

If you have to do this the alignment is not correct and needs to be adjusted further.

Guessing this is a Alpha Gen 2 correct?
Was the shifter in full forward?
Was the lower shift cable replaced?

If you have an engine hoist it can hook on the back and make things easier

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alpha Gen 2 = Yes.
I haven't had anything done with shift cables at all ... yet.

Took off the old outdrive and installed an entirely new outdrive.
Replaced that $10 gasket and little rubber o-ring between the drive and bell housing.

Once I've shifted into Forward, the throttle is smooth and works fine -- going to full throttle, mid throttle, cruizing speed ect = all smooth and fine.
RPM's at full throttle are correct ... around 4,800-5,000 trimmed out.

Going from Forward to Neutral = stiff (where I've got to force it sometimes). Going from Neutral to Reverse = Stiff and I have to force it.
Biggest problem is going from Reverse to Neutral, I'll force the shifter into Neutral and it'll stay in Reverse -- as in the shifter is in Neutral and the boat is idling in Reverse -- YIKES!! Back to Reverse, back to Neutral and 'it goes' back into Neutral.

So these are my findings after an entire summer of boating, troubleshooting and dealing with 'forced shifting'. Always being careful and doing the best shifting that I can.

Currently, the shifting works -- but I think one day next year, my luck will run out and I'll snap that shift cable or lose ability to shift .... and I'd like to not have that breakdown. Especially since I know it's been a problem this past year.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
shift interupter not working? that will cause it to be very hard to COME OUT OF GEAR

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I'd agree with the shift interrupt not working. Also, usually best practice to not lube shift and throttle cables. The lube makes them stickier and sticker over time. Clean and dry is best.