New Owner. Proper Startup

Kabraxis314

Recruit
Hi everyone,
Today I bought my first boat. Its a 1967 Starcraft Holiday V with a inboard 110hp. I paid a whopping $180 for the boat and trailer.
It's been sitting for quite sometime. The guy i bought it from has never started it up and has no idea if it even runs. What would be the proper start up procedure for this thing? things i should check first? what type of fuel to use? Any general tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone have a link to where i can find a manual on my boat and its engine?

Skipper Sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok first off you may not want to try and start it just quite yet. Check your oil which I am sure needs changed. You may want to get the old gas out of the tank and possibly clean the tank out. Pull the plugs check them out. Buy a new battery. Get yourself a set of earmuffs hook up a hose and try to fire her up. But the best advice I can give you is to triple check everything before you take it out on the water. Make sure you have all your Pfds and safety equipment on board. What make of engine/outdrive do you have in the boat.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
As above fuel will be a mess run it off a small gas can of fresh fuel. Likely the carb will need a cleaning, points will need filing or replacement. I'd change the oil take the plugs out and squirt some oil in the cylinders. Using a strap wrench on the crank pulley see if it turns. If it turns put a battery, disconnect the coil wire and ground it, run it on the starter for a minute or so to get some oil circulated. If the points have been cleaned and you have spark, dump some gas down the carb and start it.

If the engine is locked up write back I'm sure the group here can help work you through it.

Before you get too far into it you may want to check the transom wood to ensure its solid.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

regarding the manuals, you wont find one for the boat. you will find one for the motor and drive.

you will have an MC-1 drive, however IIRC, the 110 was a renault motor

stickies at the tops of the forums are a help

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ion-for-diyers-an-work-safe-search-version-of

unfortunately the link in the stickies for manuals is no-longer viable. however every topic on these motors has been covered. so ask away, search the forums.

as Sean indicated, you will need to attend to the motor long before attempting to start it.

the outdrive will need to come off, the alignment will need to be checked, the raw water impeller in the drive will need to be replaced.

the gimble bearing should be checked, the bellows need to be replaced

the carb will most likely need a rebuild, the tank will need a cleaning. the anti-siphon valve may be plugged.

the compression of the motor will need to be checked.

assuming the motor turns and there is good compression, the points will need to be serviced (or replaced) and the oil will need to be changed along with plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

Bondo

Staff member
you will have an MC-1 drive, however IIRC, the 110 was a renault motor

Ayuh,.... Yer close Scott,.... The Renault was an 80 hp motor, only used with the MC-0 outdrive,....

Odds are the OP has a MC-1, but it could also be the obsolete Mod. 1a, or 1b, or 1c,....

Serial numbers will tell the story,....
Bein' what it is, I wouldn't be terribly optimistic that it's a Runner,.... more likely a money-pit,...

Kabraxis314

Recruit
Took a few pictures off the engine. I have no doubt this is a money pit. I've always liked project cars so ill give Project boat a try. I figure the pictures can give you more information then i can about it. I am not familiar with most of this. Looks like the motor part itself is the only thing ill be confidant in fixing up. old carb engines is what i like.

It doesn't let me upload pictures to this site yet, so I've created a public Facebook album of the boat. I'll use it to record my progress as i go.
You can view it if you have Facebook or not.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741877.100005521506236&type=1&l=28831c54fe

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Ya oughta be able to post pictures with yer 4th post,....

Unfortunately, I believe ya got a real antique there, with very little parts support for it,....
Most, if not all of the accessory parts bolted to the GM 153cid block are obsolete,...
'n I believe that's one of the MC-1abc drives,... also not supported with parts,....

On the bright-side,.... If ya love the hull, it's easily up-dated,....
'course the cheap way of up-datin' is to buy a rotten hull, with a good runnin' driveline,.... a donor boat,....
Problem there is, ya might jump ship, 'n rebuild the donor boat, insteada yer original project boat,... ;)

23722679_726934490833928_7346775180087650131_n.jpg

Kabraxis314

Recruit
ah, that's never good to hear.
There's no company that makes new parts for old boats? there tons in the car world.

I've been trying to look around for haul parts as well. any of the instrument clusters, cosmetics, ect. I haven't found any website yet. If they are out there can you point me in the right direction?

Bondo

Staff member
There's no company that makes new parts for old boats? there tons in the car world.

I've been trying to look around for haul parts as well. any of the instrument clusters, cosmetics, ect. I haven't found any website yet. If they are out there can you point me in the right direction?

Ayuh,..... Just as with ole cars, some models are a piece of cake, others ya gotta search for parts, still other models, ya gotta build yer own parts,....

Some, but not alotta boat junkyards,.... I've found good junk in the bushes behind marinas before,....
'n see my comments above 'bout Donor boats,.... all kindsa parts, 'n pieces, sometimes all piled on a wagon to drag home,...

Kabraxis314

Recruit
Sadly i live in the desert, not alot of marinas out here :p
If i still lived in Miami im sure id have more options. ill look around for a donor boat and see what i can come up with. It's starting to look more and more like ill end up selling it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Don't give up, til others that know more than me respond,.... Lotsa knowledge lives here at iboats,..... ;)

I've been wrong before,................

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Bondo is right that is an old abc drive. My grandfather had one on his 1966 Penn Yan with a 150 hp straight 6 that I cut my teeth on as a shade tree mechanic. They only made that one 64-66 ish recognized by the white tilt pump (takes ATF), shock absorbers above the tilt cylinders and single hose to cylinders. the hydraulic tilt never worked from new, kept sinking back down so good you still have the hook to lock it up. I had trouble getting parts for the drive back in 1992 so can't imagine its any better now. Engine is the same 2.5 as in the 120 hp and later became the 3.0. If the engine works you could keep it but would be looking for a newer mc1 or r,mr, or alpha one transom, gimbal and drive if you really want to use it, but then as stated your better off getting a whole engine and drive that's newer.

Really can't kill the old Starcrafts and are fun light boats. I'd second what bondo said and look for a whole repower package 1980s or newer if you're going to restore it and use it. I did a repower two years ago was going to rebuild what was there, but just bucked up for a whole new partial engine, carb, exhaust, new base engine- yeah it cost more but I haven't had to touch anything since I put it in.