Using boat during winter

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I've begun using my boat more during the winter this year and as long as there are a few sunny days I'd like to continue doing so. Lately though the weather can be a bit unpredictable. Temperatures in the upper 20's one night followed by several nights of upper 30's to low 40's. I've been just draining the block and exhaust after each time I use the boat. Is this an acceptable/safe way going forward? Is there anything else I should do?
I really just want to use my boat once in awhile during the colder months

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
When i do that I jut drain my cooling system right after.

No water = no freeze = no problem.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
As an avid Striper fisherman, November and December are prime months.

Before jumping to outboards, l’d would open the drain cocks on the boat when I put it on the trailer, then tilted the outdrive up and down several times to get the water out when I got home.

A word of caution, remember to close the drains before your next trip. A half submerged motor isn’t a good thing when your 5 miles from shore;)

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
When i do that I jut drain my cooling system right after.

No water = no freeze = no problem.

As an avid Striper fisherman, November and December are prime months.

Before jumping to outboards, l’d would open the drain cocks on the boat when I put it on the trailer, then tilted the outdrive up and down several times to get the water out where I got home.

A word of caution, remember to close the drains before your next trip. A half submerged motor isn’t a good thing when your 5 miles from shore;)

Enough said :thumb:

Bondo

Staff member
I've been just draining the block and exhaust after each time I use the boat. Is this an acceptable/safe way going forward? Is there anything else I should do?

Ayuh,.... You should also pull the big hose off the circulatin' water pump,....
It hides 'bout a quart of water,...
I discovered this doin' what yer doin' one day,....
backed the boat in, started it up, the the belt was squeelin',...
Water pump wouldn't turn, til I warmed it enough to melt that plug of ice,..
The tin backin' plate expands, so no real damage, but a major inconvenience,...

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guy's
This puts my mind at ease. I'll add pulling that big hose
Haven't been striper fishing in way to long, I'll add that to the list as well
Have a great thanksgiving

Rick Stephens

Admiral
If you have a power steering cooler, it can be a PITA to drain it on V engines, tucked in behind the motor mount. I added an inline Merc drain between my cooler and the transom so I get to just pull a blue plug and the inlet line and cooler empty.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If you have a power steering cooler, it can be a PITA to drain it on V engines, tucked in behind the motor mount. I added an inline Merc drain between my cooler and the transom so I get to just pull a blue plug and the inlet line and cooler empty.

Rick, do you have a part number or any specifics for ordering that inline drain? I would like to get one...

fishrdan

Admiral
Where I launch in the winter it's a ghost town, so I do the following...

- Load boat onto trailer, pull boat just clear of water, pull manifold & block drains, pull lower rad hose. Pack up some stuff and let the engine drain (2-3 min).
- Park rig, clean fish, stow gear, close block & manifold drains, connect rad hose, lower drive so it drains and raise it back up again for trailering home.

If there are others are the ramp I won't do this as I'm not going to be "one of those guys". I have filled my bilge a couple of occasions when I broke from my normal routine (forgot to insert the drain plugs)....

ckirk

Cadet
How long is too long to let the engine sit empty before the internal surfaces start to corrode. I've been doing the same thing this fall and figure in a few weeks once the fishing season is really over I'll fill the block with anti-freeze with corrosion inhibitor.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
How long is too long to let the engine sit empty before the internal surfaces start to corrode.
Outboards live their entire life with "dry" blocks and no corrosion inhibitors.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Posted by AllDodge try using 861505A1 drain kit with those parts shown , 861505 is just the tube, you supply the clamps and drain plug