Tilt trim motor issue

Retain29

Cadet
I took my mercruiser 4.3 tilt trim motor off because it did not work. I tested it using a connection to my battery, it works so maybe a switch or solenoid issue? But I took the pump apart
There are 2 big bolts on each side,. They both have a pointed jet like bolt inside,. One side had a spring the other side is missing the spring is each side supposed to have a spring inside the bolt ?

Retain29

Cadet
Now I need to find the way to get parts numbers for a couple of parts.

Thank you kindly

alldodge

Staff member
I am now trying to locate some parts. The 2 baskets that go over the pumps in the reservoir and a spring on the check valve...

Are you looking for these items?

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

If not, either post a pic or let us know which page the parts are on in the manual

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Best get parts from Parker-Oildyne. The pump is a very standard 108 series.

Bondo

Staff member
I took my mercruiser 4.3 tilt trim motor off because it did not work. I tested it using a connection to my battery, it works so maybe a switch or solenoid issue? But I took the pump apart

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... This has me baffled,....

If ya found an electrical issue,.... Why o why did ya tear the hyd. pump apart,..??

'n, btw,.... My guess on yer Electrical issue is corroded wirin' connections,...
All are suspect, from the battery to the pump, solenoids, 'n both (+), 'n (-),....

Retain29

Cadet
Hi All.

I acquired a 1989, 19ft Baja. It has a Mercruiser 4.3 LTR V6,. 175 hp Motor.

The trim Motor did not raise the stern up or down, so I got on the web and watch a lot of you tube videos. I took the trim pump assembly out of the boat, ordered 2 new solenoids,. A rebuild kit, new fluid, new power wires for the battery connected etc. Also got all of the milky fluid out of the cylinders, lines and reservoir. Rebuilt it etc.
Put it all in pushing on the switch up or down filled the reservoir when the fluid got lower. While bleeding the air from lines not the gimbal area.

Problem is the stern did not tilt up when holding the trim switch in hearing the electric motor whining. So I read on the net to make sure the shift lever was in neutral of forward, so I did that pushing the button.

Now I held the button down and the stern is all the way down and appears to be locked in the down. I cannot manually with force raise it.

Should I take the hydraulic lines on the rear arms off or how can I unlock the stern to raise it.

I just ordered a whole new trim pump assembly $300 think I may have screwed it up when I rebuilt the pump.

Bondo

Staff member
Problem is the stern did not tilt up when holding the trim switch in hearing the electric motor whining. So I read on the net to make sure the shift lever was in neutral of forward, so I did that pushing the button.

Now I held the button down and the stern is all the way down and appears to be locked in the down. I cannot manually with force raise it.

Should I take the hydraulic lines on the rear arms off or how can I unlock the stern to raise it.

I just ordered a whole new trim pump assembly $300 think I may have screwed it up when I rebuilt the pump.

Ayuh,.... Is english yer 2nd language,..?? I'm havin' quite time followin' what yer tryin' to say,..

Ya took the pump all apart, 'n put it back together,..??
Ya installed it in the boat, 'n pushed a button,....
Does the pump motor run,..??
Does the drive go up, or down with the pump,..??
When trimmed full down, it Should be locked in-place, til ya run it up, on the pump,....

When ya hit the Up button, does the pump make noise,..??
Does oil come outa the Up hose when ya do that,..??

When ya hit the down button, does the pump make noise,..??
Does oil come outa the down hose when ya do that,..??

Retain29

Cadet
Ok I guess my explanation is confusing.

The trim pump does make a noise, and a couple times while holding the trim switch down it make some wierd clicking, totally different than the whining noise.

One at a time I took the hose off the trim cylinder, held the trim button in and held it till a stream of fluid came out to bleed the lines. So I have to assume that the trim pump is working. I did read where you have to maybe remove the hydraulic line at the gimbal housing, put a plug in it and bleed that hydraulic line also?

So the bottom line is it will not trim up and the drive did come all the way down but I think gravity did that.

For some reason I think even though I rebuilt the trim pump using the Merc kit that the pump itself is not working properly so I ordered the new pump and Motor?

alldodge

Staff member
For some reason I think even though I rebuilt the trim pump using the Merc kit that the pump itself is not working properly so I ordered the new pump and Motor?

If the lines are hooked up the same way as removed then your probably right. The pump will self bleed and while removing the lines and bleeding helps, it will do it on its own given enough up/down runs

Retain29

Cadet
Thanks. I held the up button down many times, the drive only went up maybe 2 inches then eased back down

I may just go reverse the hydraulic lines on the pump just to ensure I have them on the right side.

A totally different question. So I am a major novice at this. When I push the lever forward or reverse the handle has a button to hold on the lever, and there is also a button labeled throttle that I can push in when it is in neutral and the button stays in when I push the lever forward. Does the throttle button engage the prop or the pushing forward on the lever out of neutral. Even when I push the lever all the way forward or if the lever is all the way back the propellor spins freely.

Bondo

Staff member
A totally different question. So I am a major novice at this. When I push the lever forward or reverse the handle has a button to hold on the lever, and there is also a button labeled throttle that I can push in when it is in neutral and the button stays in when I push the lever forward. Does the throttle button engage the prop or the pushing forward on the lever out of neutral. Even when I push the lever all the way forward or if the lever is all the way back the propellor spins freely.

Ayuh,.... That's the Throttle Only button, to allow ya to rev the motor, outa gear,...
When ya return to neutral, the button pops out, 'n the controller goes back to the normal operation,......

Retain29

Cadet
Thank you for the info. So when the engine is not running and I push the lever all the way forward without pushing the throttle button in, should I be able to spin the propellor clockwise or counter clockwise ?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... With the motor off, if ya put the controller "in-gear", the prop will lock in 1 direction, 'n ratchet in the other direction,....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The propeller will ratchet in the direction you have selected, and lock in the other (with the control in forward it will lock in reverse)..

And yes, if you think about that, it is correct..

Chris........