Fitting a serpentine alternator on a Mercruiser SBC 350

dollar7499

Seaman
Hello All, I bought a 2002 Crownline 262 CR that must've had a 5.7l Mercruiser that freeze cracked, the P.O. bought the boat, decided to stick a 350 SBC in it that I have found out is a 1984, hung all the parts on it from the 2002 on the block, and sold it to me cheap to sort out the rest.

I have hooked everything up except the alternator, which has the 2002 bracket that was up on the left (looking at the pulleys) but there is only 1 hole of the 3 required to install the 2002 mount to the SBC head

If I try an old SBC bracket on the bottom right, will the serpentine pulleys line up? because the 2002 wiring harness wont reach bottom right.

Advice on how to get this done? So close!

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get a proper post 86 block and post 96 heads

alldodge

Staff member
If I try an old SBC bracket on the bottom right, will the serpentine pulleys line up? because the 2002 wiring harness wont reach bottom right.

It might but your going to needs different brackets and probably a different ALT. Your motor year which is being used did not use a serpentine. In 1998 to 2001 used these arrangements. If you have an Alpha its top left, Bravo top right, with ALT bottom right pulley on both

Serpentine Belt Routing.jpg

After 2001 the serpentine is this

fetch

The older engines used a different ALT fame size.

dollar7499

Seaman
get a proper post 86 block and post 96 heads
If it turns out that this isn't going to work out, I'll get a 2002 long block so everything matches up properly, but I'd like to get some more input into if anyone knows how this has worked out in the past... one more stud to hold the 2002 bracket to the left SBC head and I never even would have noticed

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the early heads had less mounting holes. so unless you change your heads, your brackets wont work.

dollar7499

Seaman
It would take 30 min to drill and tap a hole into that left side head to hang the 2002 bracket. Has anyone done this?

Any other suggestions? Will all my 2002 accessories accept v-belt pulleys if I tried to go with a 1984 setup? I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be a ton of experience from when they switched over to Vortec and people running into these kind of issues...

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
as the motors evolved, the brackets evolved as well.

the motor has gone thru 3 major revisions and 4 minor revisions and the brackets and accessories have had 5 major changes in the past 35 years.

I can tell you from experience, trying to mish-mash components often costs you more than simply fixing it right.

couldnt tell you if the casting is machine-safe or not, so if you drill a hole, you may be OK, you may be into the water jacket.

as for a V-belt setup, crank, water pump and alternator pulleys alone will cost you about $100, add another 35 for the power steering pulley. and that is not including brackets, etc. last time I priced a bracket, I had one custom made because it was cheaper. the brackets are different because V-belts accessories need to be stagered

a salvage yard 1996 or newer truck motor would drop in place of the 2002 motor and all your stuff will bolt up, and it will cost you about $350 for the long-block

I can also tell you that the 1984 motor is about 60hp lower output than a 2002, and for that reason alone I would have put the correct motor in the boat.

Bondo

Staff member
It would take 30 min to drill and tap a hole into that left side head to hang the 2002 bracket. Has anyone done this?

Any other suggestions? Will all my 2002 accessories accept v-belt pulleys if I tried to go with a 1984 setup? I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be a ton of experience from when they switched over to Vortec and people running into these kind of issues...

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The accessory holes changed in '87,...
See page 3, in here,...

As for drillin', 'n tappin',....
The general consensious is, the castin's are to thin to hold threads, 'n will leak water,...

dollar7499

Seaman
Bondo thanks for the link to compare the hole locations through the years!

I am going to spend max 2 hours and $25 fabricating a bracket to another stud and if that falls short in any way, order a marine long block. I looked up using a truck engine and some people say they have different internals and some say they don't and I don't know who to believe.... I really want the correct engine and more modern hp, but mentally struggled with sh!#canning a rebuilt merc SBC right off the bat!

alldodge

Staff member
A long block truck engine is a marine engine for your year, only difference is freeze plugs and head gasket

Bondo

Staff member
I looked up using a truck engine and some people say they have different internals

Ayuh,..... Those people have No idea of what they're talkin' 'bout,....

I agree with AD to a point, but the last several long block truck crate motors that I've stuffed into boats, had proper headgaskets, 'n brass core plugs,....
Though the last one had ssteel core plugs,....

The color threw me off, 'n I changed 'em to brass,...
The plugs I'd beaten out, couldn't be picked up with a magnet,.... ssteel,....
I posted a thread 'bout 'em awhile back,...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Truck engines, marine engines, and natural gas generator engines all built in the Tonawanda engine plant from the same parts bins.

Same pistons, rods, crank, block, heads....etc.

Cam is slightly different between a marine motor and a truck, however not enough to worry about

Oil pan, waterpump and intake are different marine specific

dollar7499

Seaman
Thank you Bondo and Scott, when I get back from Thanksgiving travels I will source a truck motor and intake, as well as marine gasket kit and freeze plugs. I have everything external from the OEM engine.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Not sure where you are, however pull-a - part yards like LKQ get 2-300 for a complete motor. Check your local salvage yards. Any 1996 and later 5.7 liter will work just perfect

dollar7499

Seaman
OK! Got a 1998 5.7 truck engine out of a 1500 4x4 for $250. Sending the heads to the head shop in Marietta to be planed and pressure tested, he said he'd let me know from the condition of the heads if I need to look at anything on the block side...

Now I need the ongoing guidance about intake and carb. I have read that there is no GM 4bbl vortec intake, only aftermarket intakes that have iffy reviews. That is unfortunate, because I have 2 quadrajets...

Should I do a 2bbl with stock intake, or some other system?

My main goal is reliability and efficiency.

alldodge

Staff member
Only have them planed (resurfaced) IF they are not flat. The biggest issue IMO that you have is a 5.7 in a 26 foot boat, that is a lot of boat for a small block. Don't think a 2 bbl carb will get it, and a 4 bbl will do better but still have some getting up on plane when loaded.

Reliability will not be an issue, efficiency will be lower with a 2bbl then a 4, but even with the 4 its not going to be great.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Now I need the ongoing guidance about intake and carb. I have read that there is no GM 4bbl vortec intake, only aftermarket intakes that have iffy reviews. That is unfortunate, because I have 2 quadrajets...

not true. GM offered many 4-barrel cast iron intakes for the vortec head. just not on any vehicle. only thru the performance parts division which is where the marine people picked them up. however plenty of dual alloy marine intakes out ther. by dual alloy, there is bronze in the water passages, and aluminum for the majority of it. this was first developed by Buddy Barr for PCM back in the 80's, then adopted by Volvo, Ilmore, etc.

instead of cast iron, I would get a dual alloy marine intake. its about 35# lighter than the cast iron intakes and most perform better. I picked up mine new on ebay a while back for about $300

if you want cast iron, Michigan Motorz keeps them in stock, as well some of the dealers that do a lot of GM performance parts. too bad Sallee Chevrolet wasnt still around, you could get a complete package deal on heads and intake for cheap. Plenty of ebay vendors have them as well most of the new cast iron intakes for vortec heads and a 4-barrel are about $330-350. aluminum is less, dual alloy castings more on ebay. however this is something that I would have no problem going used.

if you switch to fresh water cooling now, you could simply go with an Edelbrock RPM air-gap intake which will help the SBC in the low to mid-range. it would also keep your motor around for a long time, as you wont have to worry about cracking the block or running in salt water.

My main goal is reliability and efficiency.

if you are looking for efficiency in a boat, get a sailboat. your boat will burn 0.4 # of fuel per hp per hour. since you have a 26' boat, you will be commanding a lot of power to move it along.

you can get more power from the SBC with a cam change. the truck motor will be a roller motor. a XM264HR or XM270HR cam and 1.52:1 roller tip rockers would wake the motor up. no need to spend money on full roller rockers, the $60 for roller tip is what I would recommend

however you mentioned you are having your heads machined. get an estimate prior to having work done. new fully assembled heads are $500 a pair, yes that is $250 each for vortec heads. also, ask about converting the pressed-in rocker studs to screw-in as well as having the heads machined for higher lift cam. this will be required if you change cams. that service alone should be about $100 (50 for cutting the spring seats, $50 for converting to thread-in rocker studs)

dollar7499

Seaman
WoW! Thank you guys. What I meant about efficiency was more in line with what Alldodge was saying about a 2bbl actually being less efficient than a 4bbl. It is awesome to hear I can get a reliable 4bbl intake and use my quadrajet. I will order a dual alloy intake today.

The Cylinder Head Exchange in Marietta does a clean and test that will involve planing and grinding valve seats if necessary for $100 per head.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
as I stated, if you plan on a cam change, either have the heads machined now, or you can go with beehive springs