Port Side Not Getting Enough Water

isaacs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently winterized my daughter's boat for her. It's a 5L V8 Mercruiser Alpha1 Gen2, 2006(?).

When I was warming the engine up with the muffs on, I noticed steam coming out of the port exhaust hole, very little water. The muffs were supplying plenty of water as it was squirting out around them. I shut the engine down and felt the risers--port side was hotter, there was no smell of anything burning so I don't think I did any damage. I have almost the exact same boat and it has always run hotter on the port side but I don't get steam. I finished up my oil change and winterizing chores and put her boat to bed for the season.

I'm thinking the first thing I should do for her in the spring is change the water pump. She bought it used a couple of years ago and it has seen very little use since she got it, don't know when the pump was last changed. I did change the circulation pump on the engine last summer--it was either leaking or making noise, don't remember which. The boat has been bottom painted and shows signs of having lived in the water; fresh water I presume but you never know. When I drained it, there was rust or debris at the drains that had to be poked at with a small screwdriver in order to get all the water out. This seems a bit odd to me because my boat is older and has never had anything clogging the drains. Maybe it was sand?

Is it possible that this is nothing more than a weak water pump? If a riser or manifold is plugged, can it be blown out or anything? How hard is it to remove them? I have visions of the bolts being rusted on and the heads breaking off!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you people might have, Bob

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
When I was warming the engine up with the muffs on, I noticed steam coming out of the port exhaust hole, very little water. The muffs were supplying plenty of water as it was squirting out around them.

Usually in most cases with a good impeller and depending on how much water pressure you have available there is no "splash" at 1500 rpm
You should always probe the holes to ensure draining and not clogged with rust or sand

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Bob,....

It could be as simple as the boat wasn't level on the wagon, or the wagon wasn't level, as water seeks it's own level, 'n flows the path of least resistance,...

'n it's never a bad idea to change out the raw water pump, so, ya, I'd do that anyways,...

isaacs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was running the engine at about 1000 RPM on a level driveway. I guess I'll have to wait 'till spring to see how it behaves with a new impeller. I sure hope I don't have to get involved with removing manifolds...too old for that sort of thing! Thanks for your quick responses.