Shift shaft alpha one gen 2

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This coming up weekend I will have time to resume the search for cause of leak on my alpha one gen 2. I ve build my pressure test so I will test the outdrive, question that I have is- if the cause of leak is shift shaft then should there be water in the gear oil? My oil had zero water in it but gear oil reservoir would be empty after 75 to 90 min of running at 3500 rpm.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
because the bottle is replenishing the oil from wherever its leaking from

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Either that, or the reservoir is leaking, or the hose leading from it to the drive.. Have you pulled the drive off the boat to see if the upper seal is leaking? It should only take a few seconds to figure out where the leak is coming from.. Drain the oil, put a few lbs of air into the drive, listen and look, squirt with soapy water (if need be)

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Either that, or the reservoir is leaking, or the hose leading from it to the drive.. Have you pulled the drive off the boat to see if the upper seal is leaking? It should only take a few seconds to figure out where the leak is coming from.. Drain the oil, put a few lbs of air into the drive, listen and look, squirt with soapy water (if need be)
Yes, I have the drive off and drained. I ve installed new water impeller and i will this weekend put back together upper and lower and do the pressure test.

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys,

So I had the chance to pressure test and yes the shift shaft is 100% leaking. Do I buy the entire assembly or they sell individual seals? Thank you

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Hi guys,

So I had the chance to pressure test and yes the shift shaft is 100% leaking. Do I buy the entire assembly or they sell individual seals? Thank you

At <$30 it is worth it to get the whole kit and kaboodle.