Any suggestions on how to get this bolt out

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
Top of a1998 Alpha1 gen 2 drive.

I have been able to get it about 1/4 way out but it feels like it is going to sheer off if I give it anymore leverage. I have shot it with some PB blaster several times, screwed it back in a few turns then back out, even heated the housing around the bolt with a plumbing torch. Any other ideas out there?

Attachments

• photo279614.JPG
    photo279614.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF. heat it to about 200F. then pour over the bolt.....and wait an hour.

if that doesnt work, you may be forced to drill out once you break it off.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You want to heat the bolt, not the housing. Getting the bolt hot expands it, then when it cools it shrinks back down looser. Heating the housing just makes the fit tighter and with SS into aluminum, can gall and smear the aluminum onto the stainless threads.

Bondo

Staff member
and with SS into aluminum, can gall and smear the aluminum onto the stainless threads.

Ayuh,.... My guess is,.... That's already happened,....

Heat the bolt, Hot, 'n quench it with cold water, then pen.oil, 'n try turnin' it,...
Repeat as necessary,...

You'll probably have to heli-coil the hole after,...

devildogae

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sit it upright and soak it with the PB Blaster or the 50/50 mix (Acetone with evaporate if sitting out to long), get some modeling clay or plastic / tape and make a cup around the bolt to get the fluid to sit for a long period of time, so it can work it's way down (overnight). Then go at it again with heat and working in and out, be patient and it will come out.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Surely might be able to run a tap in and see good threads. Check em carefully. Not an uncommon place for them to get striped out.