Another alignment question

kenny80

Seaman Apprentice
I had to replace the coupler on my 87? wellcraft 3.7 alpha one. My alignment tool is only going in 1/2? so I done the doll rod trick, the doll is almost at the top of the fumble bearing and I?m out of adjustment on the front mount. It?s possible the mount has sank since the previous owner didn?t take very good care of it. Is it practical to shim the front mount with washers or a piece of wood to bring the rear down some?

alldodge

Staff member
If you rotate the motor 90 degrees do you have the same issue?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
It’s possible the mount has sank since the previous owner didn’t take very good care of it. Is it practical to shim the front mount with washers or a piece of wood to bring the rear down some?
You can do any or all of the above to make it align. The main problem in an old boat is rot in stringers, transom, or other engine mount points that have "sank" and no amount of shimming will fix them.

You'll want to carefully inspect to determine if that is why they "sank" in the first place.

If it's just the front mount and it is indeed rotten, , you may have to remove it all the way down to the bottom and fiberglass a new piece of hard wood in.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with HT, and to you question about washers, if your front mount is soft don't use washers, it needs rebuilt

kenny80

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the advice, I had a feeling that?s probably why the coupler failed in the first place.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Most failures are at the rear mounts causing the rear of the engine to squat down ,no amount of adjusting the front will correct this

kenny80

Seaman Apprentice
Right, however my problem is opposite, the rear of my engine is to high. I think rather than tearing out any stringers or flooring I?m going to put something under my front mount to bring the front up 1/2? or so which will allow for some adjustment to align the motor. If I get another 1-2 seasons out of the boat I?d be good with that.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Just to confirm your suspicions hook a hoist to the front of the engine and raise it untill the alignment looks good, measure and install the new wood

kenny80

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I took the engine back out and back in, in order for my alignment tool to go in I?ve got to lift the front mount 1 3/4? off the bottom of the boat. Is it possible that the gimbal bearing moved when I had a hard time removing the lower unit? I can?t see how the mount could sink that much with out some noticeable wear to the fiberglass.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Ok I took the engine back out and back in, in order for my alignment tool to go in I’ve got to lift the front mount 1 3/4” off the bottom of the boat. Is it possible that the gimbal bearing moved when I had a hard time removing the lower unit? I can’t see how the mount could sink that much with out some noticeable wear to the fiberglass.

Yea they do. But, u should be able to center it, if it is not badly corroded. Remember, it is basically a donut within a donut.Perhaps u are not pressing tool hard enough into the new coupler? Installing a new coupler should not cause u that much misalignment. I had to rebuild a transom due to rot. I hope u don't have that problem. Drill a 1/4" hole inside boat below motor, if u can access the area. If water or rotted wood comes out, u should pull motor and od again and repair. If u can run a 2x8 across boat to attach coffin hoist to raise front of motor, u can take motor attitude to max or min. MC front motor mounts on v8s have lag bolts holding them secured to stringer or cross member. Removing and retightening should identify rot. U may have to rebuild. Good luck!