Tilt leak down

57whitehouse

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1966 Larson with 120hp mercruiser stern drive. The out drive leaks down over an hour (give or take). No visible external oil leaks anywhere. This is a single line ram and only designed as tilt. No trim. Any ideas on cause?

Attachments

• photo279552.png
    photo279552.png
    917.1 KB · Views: 0

kenny nunez

Captain
If there are no leaks, or one of the ?O? rings that seals the valve block to the pump, the problem is in the pump valve body. The check valve spring is either broken or there may be some debris under the check ball. The valve body can be removed which will drain the fluid. There is a small Allen pipe plug and a Allen set screw under it which keeps pressure on the check ball spring. Try turning the set screw in and count the turns until it bottoms then unscrew the set screw and try clean out the valve body. Blow out the hoses and re fill it with some light weight oil.

57whitehouse

Chief Petty Officer
OK, I have a leak in one of the trim cylinders. This is a single line cylinder. The oil is coming out of the distal part of the cylinder, on the opposite end of the line. Is there a kit to rebuild this? I've looked everywhere I can think.

Bondo

Staff member
Is there a kit to rebuild this?

Ayuh,.... Unpopular cylinders, from a long, Long time ago,....
I've never seen a "Kit" for 'em,.....
But,....
I've run across plenty of old cylinders that weren't popular, 'n leaked,...
If ya pull the cylinder apart, 'n can Id the o-rings, 'n seals to the .001",.....
These folks will sell ya All the parts, 'n pieces ya need,...

kenny nunez

Captain
As said by Bondo try to pull the ram apart. Hopefully there is a hydraulics repair shop in your area. Try to replace the ?O? rings with the ?Quad? ring style.