Winterization Question For 5.0 Bravo II

Rickochet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have twin 2001 5.0L EFI's, Bravo II in my houseboat. They have 6 of the blue plastic wing nut drain plugs. The port side block plugs and the fuel cooler plugs are very difficult to get to and moreso the older I get. I have always pulled the plugs, drain the blocks and fill with antifreeze. I was curious if there was an alternate method of some how pumping antifreeze through the block and hoses without pulling the blue plugs. I have Perco strainers in the seawater intake hose from the out drive. I tried shutting off the valves and pouring antifreeze in untill it came out the outdrive. But when I checked the block plugs I still got clear water.

Could someone link me to a diagram of the raw water cooling that shows the seawater pump and the fuel cooler?

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Dangerous ground there, I'm afraid.
I doubt anyone will advise you anything other than to remove the plugs and make sure holes are clear and all areas are fully drained.
Then and only then, can you go down the antifreeze route, or otherwise.
im theory, you could run antifreeze through it using the flushing muffs and a antifreeze kit (usually means a 20l drum of antifreeze attached to the muffs and to drive)....many do....but it can be a minefield. Thermo stats etc just be thought about.
Like I say...I don't advise it. Anything other than eyeballing the engine being physically drained, is dangerous in my opinion.

alldodge

Staff member
+1 agree, don't try to winterize without pulling the plugs and draining the water.

You could remove the plugs and fitting, install barbed fittings, then short length of hose with other barbed fittings and plugs. Once installed, pull plugs, let drain, use an air compressor and blow air back thru hoses then let them drain again. Do this a couple times and there should be no water so its all out. Would be hard to get installed but afterwards a bit easier.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You would be diluting ,not winterizing . Guess wrong and your wallet will feel the pain

Rickochet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all of the replies. Might be time for this old geezer to hire it out to a younger dude.