Rebuilding Trim cylinders (MC-1)

77GlastronMT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought the o-ring kits for these and had a couple of questions. I watched a you tube video on the disassembly so that I wouldn't screw things up. When I pulled the shaft out the end piece stayed in the bottom of the tube, according to the video, if that happens you can't get them out. Is this a bad thing? Will it affect operation? Also, the end with all the springs and bearings, on the first ram I had no issues, got it all cleaned up and put back together. On the second ram, and I was extremely careful taking it apart, it was missing one of the small ball bearings under the thin spring. I know that I didn't loose it or drop it and also that this is bad but where can I find one of these? Thanks!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If you're talking about the memory piston, then it's normal for it to stay in the tube. Either hit hit the open end of the tube on a piece of wood or use compressed air to blow it out (be careful!)...

For a small ball, try a bearing shop.

Chris....

77GlastronMT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Chris, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what it is called, can't find any parts breakdown of the thing. A bearing shop is a great idea except I live in a very rural area. I'll see if the major cities that are a couple hours away have a shop. I did try both of your methods with no luck.

fishrdan

Admiral
Assume it's a stainless steel check ball? Do you have any places that rebuild carburetors locally, they might be able to match something up.

As I remember, there are several of those check balls in the trim cylinder, so you can mic one of them to figure out what size you need. Might be able to order it off Ebay.

kenny nunez

Captain
Your lucky day, I found 2 of them and a spring in my Mercruiser junk drawer. In regards to the ram you must get that last part out of the front of it. Try screwing the ram cover nut on the end of the ram and bang it on the table to get that part out. There is a good chance that the front ?O? ring is the leaking and the fluid is equalizing inside of the ram. Send me a P M with your mailing address and I will send them to you. No charge.

77GlastronMT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Kenny, I found some at a ball bearing distributor, they didn't charge me either. I put them back together and installed them. My battery was low so I couldn't test them.