Help with some Merc Serial numbers

Dcmphee

Cadet
Long time lurker, and newly signed memeber here. I was hoping someone on here could help me with some serial numbers. My engine is a 97 5.7 with a 2 barrel carb, non vortec. I am trying to find out my gear ratio in my stern drive but I don?t see the ratio stamped into it. The serial number on the gear case is Ok243613. I am assuming it?s orignal based on the fact my engine serial number starts with OK too. Also it appears my gimble ring has been replaced at some point over the years, serial number is 2A086983. Any information as to indicate the year of that assembly based on that serial number would be awesome too.

Thanks!

Darryl

alldodge

Staff member
There are a couple folks which can look up and find out what the actual serial number was when purchased. With things changing I would remove the drive and rotate the drive shaft and count the prop revs to get the ratio

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
that drive is registered to a 1997 Rinker 232 so it looks to be the original drive..
transom never registered

Fun Times

Staff member
Transom never registered
Being that the serial number starts with a 2A (2A086983) indicates the transom is a much newer model which indicates the transom was switched out "somewhat" recently.... While I personally could only guess now that the product manufacture date would be somewhere around the 2010 - 2017 being a 2A number, would you Muc be able to provide the date of Manufacture of the transom assembly to help give the OP a better "general" idea of the "general" change out time of between then and now ?.

2A086983 = MERCRUISER ALPHA TRANSOM DIRECT SHIP ALPHA TRANSOM Model number 6111002LP https://www.perfprotech.com/mercury-...g/umodel/14344

0k243613 = 1997 MERCRUISER STANDARD ROTATION ALPHA 1.62:1 model number 5010162KS....https://www.perfprotech.com/mercury-...og/umodel/7513