Started boat in trailer position by accident

Juttmk

Seaman Apprentice
Went to check the new thermostat operation and noticed I forgot to trim down the drive from the trailer position. The boat probably ran at idle for about 2-3 minutes. Should I be concerned?
Bravo 1 outdrive

nola mike

Vice Admiral
The drive shaft spins regardless of whether you're in gear or not. Probably fine, but keep your ears open for knocking or noise, esp when turning.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I've kicked myself a couple times for doing that. Luck has held with no damages. Best way to feel really stupid though.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
A better way is to lower it and forget to raise it when you tow it.

tpenfield

Staff member
Went to check the new thermostat operation and noticed I forgot to trim down the drive from the trailer position. The boat probably ran at idle for about 2-3 minutes. Should I be concerned?
Bravo 1 outdrive

You are fine . . . don't do it again :)

achris

More fish than mountain goat
As long as it was at idle and the engine wasn't revved up, you'll be fine. I often have to cross a bar that requires me to trim to the full UP position and idle across it (scary when returning with the water running in behind you :eek:), and it's never hurt any of my engines. The angles at full UP are about the same as a full lock turn to port or stbd, and nobody seems overly worried about those... ;)

Chris......

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's one of those things that sounds bad, but you never hear of someone who did damage doing that. I suspect the Merc engineers thought about it happening and built some safety cushion in.