4.3 Longblock swap

maxum_man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1989 SeaRay Seville 21 mc with a Mercruiser 4.3 that was neglected last year and cracked the block. I have posted a few times about it on here with some very good responses that helped me along the way. I finally got everythig worked out and got it running decent. The long block came from US Engine Production in NY. After running it for an hour or so, I developed a ticking sound on the right side at the top. My thinking was a stuck lifter. So I added Prolong and ran it for another couple hours. Didn't get better or go away so I took it back home and pulled the valve cover on the right side. Now...before I tell you what I found, I have to say that it didn't feel like it had all the power it should and had a little bit of a vibration just above idle. So...when I pulled the cover off, I found the #4 intake valve rocker arm turned sideways. The pushrod was still there (thank God) and it looked like the nut was still where it should have been. Turns out, on a 4.3, the rocker studs are pressed in and this one had backed out. Not going to point fingers and say it was the reman facility's fault for using a head with a hole that was too big, because I'm not sure if they can measure that hole or check it somehow before they send the heads down the line. However, after about a months worth of phone calls to Bill Murray from Groundhog day (the salesman that was handling my warranty claim acted like he hadn't talked to me about it each time of no less than 10 phone calls), they sent me a stud that was .003" oversized that worked for me.

I am writing this here because I have seen many posts about tickig noises in 4.3 Mercruisers being "normal". Just something to check for as it only cost me a new riser gasket.

Thanks to all that helped me with the swap!