Merc 502 slow crank or normal?

thunder550

Petty Officer 3rd Class

scoflaw

Ensign
Mine sounds like that,, 2 new batteries also. I've had mine for a few months and thought it was a bit slow as well.

alldodge

Staff member
Mine use to sound close to that until I replaced the starter with a permanent magnet type, now she spins fast

thunder550

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys. AllDodge, which brand did you put in yours? I see iBoats has Sierra, Arco, and ProTorque brands available.

Was it a direct replacement or did you have to make any wiring changes?

alldodge

Staff member
Mine is API, but would suggest the one I have, Wilson, Delco, Arco, but would not suggest Sierra

thunder550

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks. I read some bad reviews on the Sierra starter on Amazon as well. Will steer clear.

thunder550

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I went ahead and ordered an Arco PMGR starter. Might not be necessary but the slow cranking always makes me nervous, I don't like the way it sounds even if it's fine. Might be in my head but I think it's a little worse when the engine is hot too. Hopefully this will alleviate any possible problems with the starter and my nerves.

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine use to sound close to that until I replaced the starter with a permanent magnet type, now she spins fast

Same experience. I swapped out my starter on my 7.4 and the engine cranked over much faster than before. I previously thought it was a bad battery but it turns out it was entirely the starter. (Only difference was that my original starter was a permanent magnet and so was the replacement)

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went ahead and ordered an Arco PMGR starter. Might not be necessary but the slow cranking always makes me nervous, I don't like the way it sounds even if it's fine. Might be in my head but I think it's a little worse when the engine is hot too. Hopefully this will alleviate any possible problems with the starter and my nerves.

My slow cranking resulted in a failed starter. So you're wise to nip it in the bud.