1998 Merc 7.4 MPI won't start

alldodge

Staff member
Closed cooling is always god and great for a salt water motor, and will extend the hours greatly. If your in fresh water then the pros is its easier to winterize, but the con is more stuff in the way.

cableguy1979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If he post back Im going to bet on a bad gimble bearing!!!! There is no way that motor is froze if it was turning over unless its hydro locked.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
If he post back Im going to bet on a bad gimble bearing!!!! There is no way that motor is froze if it was turning over unless its hydro locked.

That's a possibility...although I think a bad gimbal bearing would squeel a bit.

I'll bet on the fact it's a raw water motor that it's hydro locked

cableguy1979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A hydro locked engine doesn't necessarily mean a seized engine.... just temporarily seized. I just hope the mechanic can tell the difference.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Finally got the marina's estimate - 32 hours @ $120 per hour ($3840) to remove engine, strip to long block, receive new engine, install everything was removed, run engine, install engine. This is, of course, assuming it turns out to be an engine and not a drive issue. This does not include haul out, which is part of the bellows and shift cable replacement ($1,000) and bottom paint ($1,000).

Is it just me, or does this seem a little high? I am used to doing everything myself on my Sea Ray bow rider, so I have no idea what is reasonable. I know it's apples to oranges, but I pulled the motor in my Sea Ray in a couple hours and reinstalled it in about 3 hours.

alldodge

Staff member
If you can get to the motor easy, then its easy to pull and put back in. You can do it in 5 hours and they can do it quicker (did it more times)/ It does take time to remove everything, clean surfaces and reassemble. There will be two guys doing it most the time so time runs up faster. The 32 hours is a little high but not to bad. If 120 is the going rate in your area then OK, but if its a bit lower and they charge more, then they should be able to do it faster, IMO.

The thing that puzzles me, is the 1000 for bottom paint. If they are just slapping another coat of paint on then I would say no good. We pay between 60 and 75 a foot to redo bottom paint. This means sand the paint down to barrier coat, then at least 2 coats of bottom paint

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
and shift cable replacement ($1,000) and bottom paint ($1,000).

Yikes....

The $1K for bottom paint I assume is applied with a gold plated paintbrush?

The $1K for the shift cable seems REALLY drastic as well.

With these prices, I need to get into Marine mechanics ASAP

old bird

Petty Officer 3rd Class
come on man, who says this engine is no good! Is the engine still in the boat, pull the manifold and pull the starter. it may be wedged in the flywheel. I'm with a few of the others and can't believe this engine, which turned over slowly, suddenly locked up and has to be replaced.