help needed to bringing a 470 Mercruiser, Alpha 1 back to life

achris

More fish than mountain goat
And yeah, it must not have registered properly that OP=Jeremy. You know I'm all for keeping the 470's going...

How did you miss this?

Hello All,

Firstly im well aware of all the problems and dislikes towards the 470 mercruiser,.......

cheers,
Jeremy

The very first post of the thread.

Appreciate your input, but getting a bit frustrated about comments to the effect that the money put in etc... As I said, we (Jeremy and I) know the market here. The money put in will be returned, one way or another. And to people making those comments, nothing has been said about the hull, you have no idea if it's a 15 foot boat or a 25 foot boat, so how on earth can you make money related comments? That said, the hull is not the subject of this thread, the engine is. Please keep comments positive and useful regarding the engine, and not speculate on other issues that you have no idea about.

Chris.......
iboats moderator.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
achris

My comments are not negative towards the motor, they are in direct response to his question in this post "but questioning how far should I go if it's going to be sold"

The numbers don't work out here, nor with the costs involved would doing all this work pay off there. He also mentions that a buyer will most likely repower with an outboard, if that's the case then doing anything is a waste of money. You may not like that answer, but he asked the question, and from about 50 years of being in the boat repair and building industry this is my best answer for him.

Hi all, all the information is greatly appreciated, I’m getting the boat down to my place in the next few days and will start the job. Is it plausible to do the extra things if it’s going up for sale?
I plan to inspect, replace and service as you all suggest but questioning how far to go if the boat 🚣 sngoing to be sold.
Who ever purchases the boat would more than likely repower it with a out board, as it’s alumium and a great solid fishing boat. My father and I looked at doing this but would prefer to sell and go to a fibreglass boat like a Bertram or formula 233.
Regards
Jeremy

nola mike

Vice Admiral
How did you miss this?

The very first post of the thread.
Who knows? Maybe because I've been working for the last 2 weeks at your dinner time? It happens. I get the frustration, but you realize as well as anyone that 470 bashing is sport around here. He also specifically asked for advice on how much time/money/would be plausible to put into the boat if he were to sell it. ondarvr , stonyloam , and I all gave opinions as solicited. In general, buyers don't put a ton of stock into things like when the bellows were changed unless they're savvy. It won't help with how the boat runs (unless it sinks on the water test)

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
OK just for the heck of it I added up the cost of all of the hoses ( which you may not even need) here : http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s.../30895/908/120 comes to about $250 US, another $100 for bellows and $40 for a impeller and housing. Add $100 for oil, coolant, points and a new shift cable and it comes to about $500 for everything, and that is for OEM stuff. Yeah I expect that it will all cost more in Australia but it seems that the cost difference between a well running boat and one that ? “just needs a little work?” would be well worth it. Even I would not be dumb enough to buy a non running 470, how about you Chris? ;)

achris

...Even I would not be dumb enough to buy a non running 470, ...

Spot on.... And that covers just about everybody here too... Hence Jeremy wanting to get it running. Even if it will be swapped out for an outboard, that buyer is going to want to sell a RUNNING engine when the time comes.

Chris.......

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah and having a good running boat to use until you make the switch over to an outboard during the WINTER..... OH! wait LOL!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
OK just for the heck of it I added up the cost of all of the hoses ( which you may not even need) here : http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s.../30895/908/120 comes to about $250 US, another $100 for bellows and $40 for a impeller and housing. Add $100 for oil, coolant, points and a new shift cable and it comes to about $500 for everything, and that is for OEM stuff. Yeah I expect that it will all cost more in Australia but it seems that the cost difference between a well running boat and one that “ “just needs a little work”” would be well worth it. Even I would not be dumb enough to buy a non running 470, how about you Chris? ;)

​Yes the parts will cost more in AUS, and it's never that easy on a boat that's been sitting for 7 years, there will be more items to buy and many hassles.

​There are dozens of boat on CL where I live that have been refurbished with rebuilt outdrives, rebuilt motor, new electronics, paint, steering (a common issue on a boat that's been sitting), then they throw in all the downriggers and safety equipment, new trailer, etc, the add will say "over $9,000 in receipts" and the price is $5,500

​If the market down-under is that much better for old used boats you're in luck.

Skipper Sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I?m new to boat ownership but not new to boats. You can call me crazy but I like the 470. My friend had one that was rock solid. My first I/O boat has a 470 in it also. It?s an engine and they love just to be taken care of. If you just want to launch and drive the 470 is more than likely not for you. For Me, I?m that special kind of stupid that likes them. Especially when it comes time to winterize them.

achris

Yeah and having a good running boat to use until you make the switch over to an outboard during the WINTER..... OH! wait LOL!

Coming into summer here. :D And even in winter, the weather is great for boating. Temperature rarely drops below 50. :D :D

....There are dozens of boat on CL where I live that have been refurbished with rebuilt outdrives, rebuilt motor, new electronics, paint, steering (a common issue on a boat that's been sitting), then they throw in all the downriggers and safety equipment, new trailer, etc, the add will say "over $9,000 in receipts" and the price is $5,500....

:facepalm: Stop making references to the North American market. It's completely different. Different boats and different buyer attitudes. Just trust that Jeremy and I know what we are doing.

Last edited:

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
Coming into summer here. :D And even in winter, the weather is great for boating. Temperature rarely drops below 50. :D :D

One day...I'd like to know what the diving is like there too...bubble blowing...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

:facepalm: Stop making references to the North American market. It's completely different. Different boats and different buyer attitudes. Just trust that Jeremy and I know what we are doing.

You left out my last sentence, that changes the meaning of my post.

​"If the market down-under is that much better for old used boats you're in luck."

achris

One day...I'd like to know what the diving is like there too...bubble blowing...

We have a guest room and multiple 'bubble blowing steel containers'. We're welcome any time.

Look up 'Rottnest Island SCUBA diving' for more information.

Chris............

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You left out my last sentence, it changes the intended meaning of the post.

"​If the market down-under is that much better for old used boats you're in luck."

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
We have a guest room and multiple 'bubble blowing steel containers'. We're welcome any time.

Look up 'Rottnest Island SCUBA diving' for more information.

Chris............

Yea...that's all good in the 'hood but getting to Australia from the states (NYC) is like $3k in plane fare.

achris

Yea...that's all good in the 'hood but getting to Australia from the states (NYC) is like $3k in plane fare.

Nah. Quick Internet search and I see them at about $1k.. and yes, that's return. Look at emirates airlines.