help needed to bringing a 470 Mercruiser, Alpha 1 back to life

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Chris, you probably already know

changing the head to an alloy edelbrock Ford FE head (429/460) helps with the thermal expansion issue.....

Again, not an option in Australia. Unless we import them directly from a supplier in the US.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah you would get the impression that your 470 is going to blow a head gasket every week, and that the cam seals only last a season. Now the water cooled regulator is an expensive pain, but put in an alternator kit and you are good. My engine turned 30 this year and I have replaced the head gasket once, and the cam seals once (did not use Spedi Sleeves) and it is running as well as it ever has. That is not a bad record for ANY engine. Like I have said a million times, keep it from overheating, change the impeller often, keep an eye on coolant level and check the compression from time to time and you should be OK. If you are running in salt, make sure the exhaust elbow is in good shape.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The bore girdle is a custom fabbed part.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Like Terry said, I doubt a $2k(?) outlay would justify the *maybe* occasional headgasket replacement. Especially since you need to replace the HG to do the upgrade anyway ;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I agree, I wouldnt upgrade a perfectly good running 470. for the occasional head gasket. however when i get to my model A build, I will be moding one as I will most likely be pushing power up a notch.

Striker89

Recruit
Hi all, all the information is greatly appreciated, I?m getting the boat down to my place in the next few days and will start the job. Is it plausible to do the extra things if it?s going up for sale?
I plan to inspect, replace and service as you all suggest but questioning how far to go if the boat 🚣 sngoing to be sold.
Who ever purchases the boat would more than likely repower it with a out board, as it?s alumium and a great solid fishing boat. My father and I looked at doing this but would prefer to sell and go to a fibreglass boat like a Bertram or formula 233.
Regards
Jeremy

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If the boat is going to sold don't do anything to it, sell it as is, you will never recoup any of the time or money you put into it.

achris

If the boat is going to sold don't do anything to it, sell it as is, you will never recoup any of the time or money you put into it.

In this country, if the engine's not running, and running quite well, you will not sell it at all. 'Project boats' aren't a thing here. Getting things running is just too expensive, and people just want to buy a boat and go boating. Not have it sit in the front yard for a year or 2 while it isn't worked on. 90% of 'projects' get sold before the project is complete....

Selling a non-running boat like Jeremy is referring to will return a few hundred dollars, selling it running will get you a few thousand. Definitely worth the effort of getting it running.

Chris.........

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
In this country, if the engine's not running, and running quite well, you will not sell it at all. 'Project boats' aren't a thing here. Getting things running is just too expensive, and people just want to buy a boat and go boating. Not have it sit in the front yard for a year or 2 while it isn't worked on. 90% of 'projects' get sold before the project is complete....

Selling a non-running boat like Jeremy is referring to will return a few hundred dollars, selling it running will get you a few thousand. Definitely worth the effort of getting it running.

Chris.........

This is exactly why I say stop now, the cost of the planned repairs will run into the thousands, and this only includes what he already plans to do, there will be many more parts or systems that will need attention ($$$$) before he's done. Then, even in perfect condition it's not a desirable boat, so he'll be lucky to sell it for even close to the money he has into it, let alone the labor.

Skip all the headaches and suffering and let it go for whatever he can as is, then move on to what he really wants.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Nothing that the OP plans is a big deal. Most are just normal maintenance itrms. Replacement of the waterpump and bellows are routine, gas line is pretty easy. Replacing the engine hoses can get pretty pricy, but may not even be necessary. Once the engine is running you can address other issues if necessary.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I'd probably just get it running and let the next owner take care of the deferred maintenance. Maybe the impeller, since you might run into issues even in the short term.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Nothing that the OP plans is a big deal. Most are just normal maintenance itrms. Replacement of the waterpump and bellows are routine, gas line is pretty easy. Replacing the engine hoses can get pretty pricy, but may not even be necessary. Once the engine is running you can address other issues if necessary.

The items listed come to more than $1,000 in the US, they will be more in AUS. And this is without all the other stuff he'll run into along the way, plus the things that won't come apart and break. It makes no difference if it's normal stuff or not, it all costs money, and on that motor, and being in AUS means it will cost even more.

He may possibly sell it for a couple hundred right now, or he can work on it for 6 months, put say $2,500 into it, plus labor, then sell it for for $2,700, and that's if he's very lucky, most of the time you can only sell it for $1,200 after doing that much work.

achris

Did I miss the part where he's in Australia? Only achris confusing folks I think...

Possibly, the OP doesn't list a location.

Did you also miss the part where I said Jeremy and I are friends? Nothing I posted is confusing, if you bother to read the whole thread.

Jeremy will be bringing this boat back to life. He and I would very much appreciate comments of a negative nature to be kept to yourself. We don't want to be hearing that it will cost more than it's worth. I'm in Australia, he's in Australia, he and I both know the market here far better than the naysayers several thousand kilometres away who know nothing of the market here.

Next negative commenter gets a holiday.... :mad:

Chris............

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Easy, easy, nothing negative intended. I meant that ondarvr was getting confused because you're in Australia. And yeah, it must not have registered properly that OP=Jeremy. You know I'm all for keeping the 470's going...