Cylinder Valve Stuck Open!!!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Find a shop that specializes in American muscle cars in the UK and talk to however is the expert on small block Chevrolets. There is nothing marine about these parts, the only marine spec parts on those engines are the intake manifolds (for carb engines vs efi) head gaskets, core plugs, and on some engines the cam profiles. The rest is really just a garden variety Chevrolet small block, in 6 cylinder form. Its 6/8ths or 3/4ths of a 5.7 V8, same bore and stroke.

kenny nunez

Captain
I was talking to an engine rebuilder last night, he told me that oversized rocker arm studs are available.
Chevy heads that have screw in studs have to have sealer as the studs protrude into the water jacket. If this is the only stud that pulled and you want to be sure it will stay, stack some washers on the stud and use the nut to pull the stud out. Drill and tap a small hole into the casting, install the stud and install an Allen set screw.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Screw in studs are extremely common upgrade for vortec heads. Any automotive machine shop can get Manley, Erson, or ARP studs

Birdsboat

Seaman
Thanks for all the advice guys!! I have decided to repair the stud in position and have made a fixture to locate over the studs either side to provide a guide bush for the drill and tap. I will then use Loctite 270 to lock and seal the new threaded stud. I will update when complete.
Thanks again

Birdsboat

Seaman
Ok, I?ve now repaired the stud by removing it and replaced with a screwed stud. I?ve reset all the valve lash as per manual and the motor is now running really well. Thanks again for all the advice I am now a big step forward towards getting my boat back in the water!!👍👍