Damaged oil pan 1993 Mercruiser 4.3 v6 non vortec

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I was ready to drop in the completely assembled Mercruiser 4.3 v6 into my boat. The engine fall from the hoist and the oil pan got damaged. It banged on the oil pan bolt. The bottom of the pan was a little dented and the corner where the drain plug is was dented more and the oil plug started leaking. Otherwise to my great surprise the engine was undamaged. I can probably repair the pan, but I have another one from the same year automotive engine. Are they the same? Can I replace one with another? Thank you.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
If they are in fact the same you should be OK.

My mercruiser 350 has a 6qt pan where most of the automotive pans of that vintage are 5qt.

Double check it & make sure it's the same.

Jim.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the mercruiser oil pan should be an industrial pan, vs an automotive pan.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
curious as to what broke or allowed the engine to fall and from what height. You could have taken out the timing chain cover or the crankashaft

dlogvine

I made an extension for the hoist beam to lift the engine in the boat. It is about a foot land a half longer. I had my friend helping me to take the engine from the stand to lower it to the ground. My friend was suppose to be standing on the hoist in order for the engine not to tip the crane over. We tested the weight with lifting the engine and a stand together. This counterweight (about 180lbs or less) was enough to hold the crane. Unfortunately while I was taking the holding bolts of, my friend decided to step of the crane without telling me. So as soon as the bolts were off the engine started going down and fell on the ground from about 1 1/2 foot height. I know it was my fault and I should not blame anybody else but myself. I should have double checked everything and was better off by using the regular beam until the moment when the engine was lifted to the boat. I know, my bad and I feel really stupid post factum. One of the bad decisions you can make when you are tired after a long day of work, trying to work on the boat after hours. I made leg extensions for the hoist to help it hold the engine on the longer beam. However now I have to deal with this problem. I think some welding or metal fabrication shops could straighten up the pan and fix the drain plug hole. I also bought a new oil pan, found one on ebay for $45. But still want to see if the old one could be fixed. Looks like an automotive pan is not good enough from responses.

dlogvine

The engine damage was following, dented oil pan - it took the major part of the blow, chipped paint and a little nick on the pulleys (will file it off and repaint), damaged oil pressure sender and a broken brass fitting, will have to replace it, the thread was undamaged.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
the mercruiser oil pan should be an industrial pan, vs an automotive pan.

Scott, are they just made to a heavier duty construction as far as thicker gauge steel or are they dimensionally different?

I sure hope that's all the damage it sustained. I bet you about s**t your pants when that fell.

I sure would have.

Jim.

dlogvine

I look at my oil pan from 1993 Chevy 262 4.3 v6, they look almost identical, no visible differences. When ill take of the damaged oil pan and replace it with the one i bought on ebay, ill make pictures for each pan, marine and automotive and post them both side by side.

dlogvine

Automotive oil pan is definitely smaller. I see it has at least a quart less capacity. The materials are however the same on both automotive and marine oil pans. If anybody wants I can make a picture of both pans side by side.

dlogvine

I tried to straighten up the dented places on the oil pan. Heated up the pan with the propane torch, then tapped the metal with the hammer. However the most dented part around the drain plug is dented pretty badly and does not go back. Also the reinforcement plate with the plug thread in is slightly bent as well, leading to the oil leaking through the spot. Is there some shops that I could look at that do this type of repair? It is not urgent since I bought another oil pan, but I want to see if I can repair the old one. Thx

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
maybe take it to an auto body shop, they would have the skills to fix that.