Lower drive shaft

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Today I replaced water pump impeller and gaskets then i checked prop shaft and it was spinning bu the drive shaft was not spinning when trying to turn by hand..Is it because the new impeller causes the resistance or something is wrong? I've changed the impeller multiple times before but I dont remember if drive shaft should spin by hand or not. (Drive shaft in lower unit)

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Did ya shift it Into gear 1st,..??

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,

Yes, I put in forward in order to remove the drive. I have a feeling it is the new impeller that causes the resistance. Am I wrong?

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
A new impeller will do the opposite. You won't be able to spin it by hand in gear after a new impeller. Rather, it's not easy to do. But if the propshaft Is spinning & not the lower shaft, it's either in neutral, or you've got another problem. The lower shift shaft probably got bumped into neutral while you were doing the impeller. Hopefully that is.
Good luck.
Jim

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A new impeller will do the opposite. You won't be able to spin it by hand in gear after a new impeller. Rather, it's not easy to do. But if the propshaft Is spinning & not the lower shaft, it's either in neutral, or you've got another problem. The lower shift shaft probably got bumped into neutral while you were doing the impeller. Hopefully that is.
Good luck.
Jim

Hi Jim,

Assuming the situation above in blue is my case what should i do now? Now that I think of it I believe I did have the shift shaft to the side for some time, when I took outdrive off the shift shaft was pointing straight because it was if Forward gear. What happens if I bumped it from F gear, I rotated propshaft then I installed the new water impeller and then put the shift shaft in proper position?? Did I screw something up?

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
So you removed the complete drive & then separated the lower to do the impeller?

If the drive is back on the intermediate shaft & the upper must be aligned properly.

If the lower shaft got bumped out of forward you'll have to separate the lower unit from the upper drive again & put the lower back in forward gear & then reinstall the lower. Watch out for that tiny o-ring seal that goes between the lower & upper. It's easy to get knocked out & then you'll have an oil leak & be pulling it off again.

Just take your time & don't get frustrated. Most of us have had that happen one time or another. Lol.

Good luck.
Jim.

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,

So you removed the complete drive & then separated the lower to do the impeller? That is correct. But I did not connected yet lower with upper. After doing impeller job I've noticed that item 52 spins and item 19 does not spin and item 21 is facing forward so it is in forward gear. This is way i did not put together lower with upper because I want to make sure that I did right job with servicing my impeller. As I originally was thinking that the new impeller was causing resistance and that's why item 53 (drive shaft) is not spinning. But now I don't know any more..............

lower unit.jpg

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,

So you removed the complete drive & then separated the lower to do the impeller? That is correct. But I did not connected yet lower with upper. After doing impeller job I've noticed that item 52 spins and item 19 does not spin and item 21 is facing forward so it is in forward gear. This is way i did not put together lower with upper because I want to make sure that I did right job with servicing my impeller. As I originally was thinking that the new impeller was causing resistance and that's why item 53 (drive shaft) is not spinning. But now I don't know any more..............

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If the drive was working before you worked on it and you did not remove the shift shaft accidentally or on purpose then the shift shaft must face in a straight line and turning the prop shaft CCW it will feel locked in fwd gear.

Turning the shift shaft fully CCW the prop will feel locked turning it CW ,this is reverse
To install the upper on the lower it must be in fwd gear.

Bondo

Staff member
To install the upper on the lower it must be in fwd gear.

Ayuh,..... 'n it loves to slip into neutral by itself as yer puttin' it together,....

I wrap a bungee strap 'round the prop shaft, 'n up to the cav-plate on each side,....
Click it into Forward, 'n put tension on the prop shaft to lock it into Forward gear,...

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Yes it is much easier if you lock the prop with a bungee or even masking tape.

Did you have the shift shaft out of the lower unit?

You should be able to turn the shift shaft on the lower unit while attempting to turn the prop & get it in forward, neutral & reverse.

Like BT said above when the lower shift shaft is turned all the way clockwise it is in forward gear & the prop will lock up when trying to turn it counter clockwise. Lock it up with a bungee to keep pressure on the prop so it holds in forward gear & then mate the lower back up with the upper. If the drive shaft splines won't slip in you'll have to turn the prop in the forward direction, CCW, a tad bit to get the splines to mate. Do not turn the prop in the reverse direction or the lower shift shaft won't mate with the intermediate shaft & you'll have to put it back in forward & lock the prop up again.

I lubed my impeller up by spraying a little soapy water on it & the housing so the drive shaft would turn easier when I turned the prop. i figured that was better than any petroleum type product & it would wash out when I put the muffs on it

Good luck. You'll get her back together.
Jim

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Jim,

No, I did not remove shift shaft out of lower unit. When I was done replacing water pump I managed to put shift shaft in forward gear position and my prop shaft would spin but not the drive shaft that sticks out up from lower unit. Boat is up in Poconos so I can only get to it couple times per month now that the season is over. But I will double check all before I put it all together and I'm planing on pressure testing my unit. Quick question: do you pressure test alpha one gen 2 lower and upper unit separately or it has to be as a one piece?

Thank you

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I managed to put shift shaft in forward gear position and my prop shaft would spin but not the drive shaft that sticks out up from lower unit.

You were not in fwd gear. when in fwd with the shift shaft turned fully clockwise the prop will lock CCW.
Drive must be assembled to test a GEN II